The Exakta: The Red Hot SLR of the Cold War

I'm collect and shoot with Exakta cameras. With a Leica you focused the microscope on a ground glass mount and slid the camera over to take the picture.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

This Leica device was called a Focaslide or Focoslide. Both spellings were used.

Ihagee meant IHG, or Industrie und Handelsgesellschaft (Industry and Trading Company).
Right you are, Vince.
Sorta like:

"Bay Em Vay" Bavarian Motor Werk

Nice write up!
Thanks; I never would have figured out the correct pronunciation.

Nice write-up,indeed! One of my dad's business associates and friend of the family was a very good photographer and he used an Exacta VXIIa. I still remember that!

While we are at it, how do you pronounce Dresden?

With a rolling R and both Es as E in television. The rolling R is usually difficult for English speakers.

Now you are confusing the poor monoglot anglophones (you can include me in that!) - we just love to have an insane number of vowel sounds (I believe UK English has 57, for five letters - WTF?).

We pronounce Television with a short initial e (like "Tell"), and the second e is long, so it's tell-ee-vision. But if you say that Dresden is pronounced with both Es like the first one in television, you are bang on. And you are right about the rolled-r as well, there's no sound like it in English English - though the Scots roll their Rs with the tongue, and also have a hard -ch sound (eg in loch).

And then they wonder why the English are such appalling travellers...

Just to bring it back on subject, how would the Saxons of its homeland pronounce Exakta, I wonder?

Just to bring it back on subject, how would the Saxons of its homeland pronounce Exakta, I wonder?

I’ve heard it, as well as other camera names spoken by Germans. Although I don’t have IPA symbols to type here and describe it properly, the best I can render it for how an English-speaking person might perceive the German pronunciation and write it is: “eks-ockt-ah”.

Though 99.99% of the time I hear Americans say it with a Fauci-esque “ehks-AAAAAK-tuh”.

I got my first Exacta a few years ago. Didn't care if it worked, I just loved that engraving on the front. Going through the motions I found it worked just fine, but then I took a look through the viewfinder and found that someone had wiped the silvering off the mirror. A member here sent me a partial body so I could swap the mirrors, but I just haven't gotten to it. I'll probably replace the shutter curtains too when I finally take it apart.

It's truly a classic in every sense of the word.

PF

I got my first Exacta a few years ago. Didn't care if it worked, I just loved that engraving on the front. Going through the motions I found it worked just fine, but then I took a look through the viewfinder and found that someone had wiped the silvering off the mirror. A member here sent me a partial body so I could swap the mirrors, but I just haven't gotten to it. I'll probably replace the shutter curtains too when I finally take it apart.

It's truly a classic in every sense of the word.

PF
There's a guy on eBay who sells TLR mirrors and I had him cut me some Exakta mirrors. I sent him an example mirror to match the dimensions and thickness. If you search the Exakta google group you can probably find my post with his name. He charged me $12 for a standard Exakta mirror (VX and later) and $18 for a kine Exakta mirror which has a little different shape. Mirrors are usually easy to replace...bend out the two edge tabs in front and use some thin shim to get under the mirror to loosen any glue. Reglue with some pliobond glue You have to remove the lens mount to get the mirror out and in, but better to do a disassembly. You need to be careful not to bend anything.

There's a guy on eBay who sells TLR mirrors and I had him cut me some Exakta mirrors. I sent him an example mirror to match the dimensions and thickness. If you search the Exakta google group you can probably find my post with his name. He charged me $12 for a standard Exakta mirror (VX and later) and $18 for a kine Exakta mirror which has a little different shape. Mirrors are usually easy to replace...bend out the two edge tabs in front and use some thin shim to get under the mirror to loosen any glue. Reglue with some pliobond glue You have to remove the lens mount to get the mirror out and in, but better to do a disassembly. You need to be careful not to bend anything.
https://groups.google.com/g/exakta-list/c/8CK8m5fhsVw/m/eM-eIFwdAwAJ

It was $7.50 a mirror...this was from 2017

I think the seller is Marty1107

Back