The Exotic Foca from France: Not your Dad's Leica copy

Jason Schneider

the Camera Collector
Local time
8:55 AM
The Foca: Not your Dad’s Leica copy
Inspired by E. Leitz, but executed with French flair and insouciance

By Jason Schneider

Foca is the concise, catchy brand name used for a line of beautifully crafted, idiosyncratic 35mm cameras that were designed and manufactured by Optique et Précision de Levallois (OPL) of Levallois-Perret, France. Originally founded back in 1923 as a maker of high-grade optical instruments for aviation, marine, and military use, in 1938 OPL decided to create its first camera, loosely based on the popular Leica rangefinder 35. Conceived as a high-performance, less expensive, domestic market alternative to the hugely successful Leica, it never went into production due to the outbreak of WW II in Europe (1939) and the resulting German occupation.

rs=w:1440,h:1440

Foca PF 1 star with 50mm f/3.5 Oplar screw mount lens had no rangefinder.

In 1945, OPL resurrected itsprewar plans and developed a succession of fascinating interchangeable-lens Foca 35mm (24 x 36mm format) cameras, most with combined, coupled range/viewfinders, in both 36mm screw-mount and (later) 3-lobed bayonet-mount versions. Leveraging their optical expertise, they also produced a complete line of coupled high-performance, dedicated Oplar and Oplarex lenses in house. All Foca rangefinder and scale-focusing models have precision diecast metal bodies with removable backs, quiet horizontal cloth focal-plane shutters, and a swinging stabilizer film bar that clicks in place over the sprocket wheel to help ensure perfect film registration and perhaps enhance film flatness.

Foca PF 2 star with rangefinder coupled 50mm f/3.5 Oplar lens, no slow speeds.

The very last Foca rangefinder 35, the sensational Foca Universel RC (aka URC) of 1962 was one of very few early Leica M3 competitors with a projected, parallax-compensating frameline in its high magnification (nearly life-size) range/viewfinder, a single stroke film advance lever, and coupled bayonet-mount lenses ranging from 28mm to 135mm. Alas, the Foca URC was in production for only a couple of years (though it was sold by some French dealers until 1967) and it has now attained the status of an ultra-rare and super-desirable collector’s item, especially among Leica and Leica copy collectors.

The first Foca cameras to appear after WW II were designated “PF” for petit format (that is, standard 35mm format), and instead of model names or numbers the company used a system of stars. The first model, released in October1945, was the original PF2, which had a combined range/viewfinder, a coupled 50mm screw-mount lens, shutter speeds of 1/20-1/500 plus B, and no stars. Like all Focas (except for the lever wind Universel R and RC,) you turn the knurled, top-mounted shutter speed dial clockwise until it stops to wind the film to the next exposure, cock the shutter, and advance the frame counter one notch. The PF1 of 1946-1947 and the PF1 Standard of 1948-1962 had a screw mount, but no rangefinder, and the latter sported a single star. The second iteration of the FP2 (the FP2 bis of 1947-1957) has shutter speeds to 1/1000 sec, a rangefinder coupled screw mount lens and 2 stars engraved on its front-mounted I.D. plate.

Foca PF3 3 star with rangefinder coupled 50mmm f/2.8 Oplar lens, top model in the screw mount line, had knob wind, fast and slow shutter speed dials.

The top-of-the-line FP3, the 3-star version of the FP series, had the same features as the late model FP2, but added a Leica style slow speed dial on the front. The standard lens for these cameras was the 50mm f/3.5 Oplar (a 50mm f/3.5 Leitz Elmar clone), the 50mmm f/2.8 Oplar, or the excellent 6-element, 4-group 50mm f/1.9 collapsible Oplarex, all in 36mm screw mount, single coated, with stepless aperture settings to f/18 and minimum focusing distances of 1 meter. These FP-series Focas were a lot easier to load than a Barnack Leica and the rangefinder models offered a combined range/viewfinder well before this feature appeared on the Leica M3 of 1954. However, all screw mount rangefinder Focas employ an (external) rangefinder coupling system with the focusing helical built into the body (the coupling shaft is integral with the depth of field scale below the lens) so only normal (50mm) lenses can coupleto the rangefinder. This shortcoming was finally addressed in the bayonet mount Foca Universel R and RC, the last models in the illustrious line, which used a separate rangefinder coupling cam at the rear of each lens, just like (dare we say it?) the Leica.

Front view of Foca Universel R body shows lever wind, fast and slow shutter speed dials, and 3-lobed Foca bayonet mount that provided full rangefinder coupling with bayonet mount Foca lenses ranging from 28-135mm.

Back view of 50mm f/2.8 Oplar lens shows bayonet mount lugs, rangefinder coupling cam at rear.

The big technological breakthrough for the Foca came with the introduction of the Foca Universel series of rangefinder 35s, all with combined long base range/viewfinders and sporting Foca’s unique 3-lobed bayonet mount. These cameras provide internal rangefinder coupling for a series of excellent Oplar/Oplarex lenses ranging from 28-135mm, each with its own focusing mount thereby providing (to coin a phrase) a “universal” focusing system. The comprehensive 6-lens in house line includes the standard 50mm f/2.8 Oplar and 50mm f/1.9 Oplarex, the 28mm f/4.5 and 35mm f/3.5 Oplar wide angles, and the 90mm f/3.5 Oplar and 135mm f/4.5 Téléoplar.

Foca Universel R outfit with lenses, accessories, multi-lens accessory viewfinder.

The first Foca Universel model was announced in 1949 and there were 9 (count ‘em) different knob wind models produced with slight variations—the prerogative of a small factory making what were essentially bench assembled classics. In 1957 OPL came out with a lever-wind version dubbed the Universel R and produced it in 4 designated models with minor variations, including the “Marine Nationale” designed for Marine use. The Foca Universel R is a handsome, beautifully made camera with coupled single eyepiece range/viewfinder, separate fast and slow-speed dials for setting shutter speeds from 1-1/1000 sec plus T and B, a built-in self-timer, X sync at 1/40 sec, a film speed indicator, and a cold shoe for mounting a Foca multi-lens accessory optical viewfinder.

Rare Foca Universel R "Marine National" with lever wind, fast and slow speeds, scarce bayonet mount mount 50mm f/1.9 Oplarex 6-element 4-group double Gauss lens.

In May,1962 OPL unveiled its last and most advanced model, the Foca Universel RC (aka URC) with a satin chrome finish “designed to last at least 40 years” and produced in “a limited presentation edition of 2000 units with special cases.” Its general specs hew closely tothe Universal R’s except for its signature feature: a superb high-magnification (nearly life size) range/viewfinder (easily viewable with both eyes open!) that provides a reflected, parallax compensating bright line frame line for 50mm normal lenses using the Albada system. Foca improved upon the Leica M3 finder by placing the rangefinder viewfinder almost directly in line with the lenses, thereby reducing viewfinder parallax. The shutter speed dials are a bit like the Barnack Leicas, with a rotating high speed shutter speed dial from 1/1000 to 1/40 sec, and a separate low speed dial from 1/40 to 1 sec plus T. The ratcheted film lever advance is smooth, with a Leica M2 style manually set film counter. Lenses of other focal lengths still require separate shoe mount finders or a universal viewfinder. The URC is well made, slightly larger than the Leica M3. Introduced long after the Leica M3 and M2, it appears Foca designers used every ounce of French genius possible to produce a camera as different from the established Leica M’s as possible. For some (unknown) reason things did not work out for the URC sales wise. Leica M’s remained kings of the rangefinder world and the URC's were left to haunt the netherworld of dead almost Leica M competitors.

foca_universal_rangefinder_outfit.jpg

The URC seems to be much rarer than the 2,000 unit production plan would seem to indicate. Even with the net it’s rather difficult to find info on and photos of the URC. The rarest or the six URC lenses is the 50mm f/1.9 Oplar. But good luck in finding any URC lenses that aren’t included with the camera! Foca Universel models have a unique bayonet lens mount with 3 unusually small lens lugs and are not shared by other Focas, or any other camera for that matter. making for limited lens choices.

foca_universal_rangefinder_outfit-13.jpg

According to Paul Gates who posted a short, favorable review of the Foca Universal RC on The Wayback Machine, “as a result of the rather faint tint used for the camera’s integral finder, the rangefinder images are inclined to become slightly ‘vague’ under certain lighting conditions—the price paid for the particularly bright overall image.” Funny, but I could say the same about the rangefinder patch in my near mint Foca PF2, but this has never prevented me from achieving precise focus with its sharp 50mm f/2.8 Oplar lens. My verdict: The Foca Universal RC is a magnificent achievement, and a testament to what can be done by a relatively small company dedicated to quality and innovation. For a remarkably complete rundown on all things Foca, go to http://roland.weber4.free.fr/_app/app.htm, click on the top tab on the left and select “appareils” for a complete listing of Foca models, and click on the camera icons to see an enlarged image of each.

I understand that a Foca accompanied Maurice Herzog and Louis Lachenal when they summited Annapurna in 1950 -- culmination of the French expedition that was the first successful climb of an 8,000 meter peak. I don't know which model, but obviously it was able to handle extreme cold!

I have a PF2 Star that I picked up thinking that I might be able to use the lens with my LTM adaptor - of course, it's not the same, is it? I think it's 36mm.

For some reason I only have a photo of the knackered shutter, not the front of it: Foca PF2? by gray1720, on Flickr

There is a registered member called, I think, John Robertson whose avatar was the Foca logo, but he's not posted in a great many years and I fear he may be wrong side of the turf.

ETA: If anyone can explain how to get into the thing to fix it...

I have the Foca flex a reflex model with no prism hump.
Probably uses mirrors.
It has a fixed lens but later model had interchangable lenses and even a light meter.
Philip

Back