The F6! Post your photos here!

dave lackey

Mentor
Local time
9:46 PM
Today is the day. Somehow I have managed to shoot two rolls of Eastman 5222 Double X film and have them developed. I pick them up today because I just could not manage developing the film myself this week.

Today is the day that I will officially crown my F6 as my primary camera! It is that amazing!

The M3/6 life is special, like a Strad. As I recall, a Strad is special and has a narrow window, if you will, that produces amazing music. But it is not an instrument with a wide range of application. No it is special. The M bodies are the same for me. Beautiful instruments that I love to use.

Unfortunately, I love macro and action sports along with a whole lot of other possibilities. The capability of the F6 goes far beyond any rangefinder and I am stunned by its sophistication.

The F6!!!

attachment.php

Are there any negatives? The first one is why did I wait so long? For that matter why did it take Nikon so long to come up with such an instrument? The second negative is ... Well, I can't come up with it yet other than the form and aesthetics are so familiar and comfortable that character is subdued somewhat. But then, if a camera is supposed to disappear in your hands and become an invisible extension and interface, I cannot fault that! This camera simply amazes me.

I will post my own images soon!

Attachments

• F6 rff.jpg
    F6 rff.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
Awww, man. That camera (the F6) was always juuust out of reach for me. I had an F4, which I have used and loved since 1991. I know that camera did not get a lot of love out in the world, but this thing was just so on-the-money-honey for me. I had an F5 for about a year, but never liked it as much. Prices on the F6 came down to a level I could afford, just as I realized I had not processed any film in over a year. So it remains just over the horizon as the Nikon that got away. I still have the F4, and it is sitting on a shelf with my Leica film cameras, which I think I will not part with. I still haven't developed a roll of film since the "F6 realization moment." But what a machine!

Congrats on getting one of the world's great cameras Dave. Hope to see many excellent photos posted here!

Ben Marks

Hi, Ben!

Like you the F6 was so expensive, I could never afford it. Now they are a fraction of the cost new. I am fortunate to get one that has never had a roll of film through it until Nikon serviced the camera! Amazing luck for a change with the help of a dear friend...

Like all things in life, sometimes things must be sold to afford something else. I was able to move a lot of gear and had a little left over, so the F6 was an opportunity I dared not miss.

With my 24/7 job, finding time to develop my own film is difficult but I have a friend with his own lab and I scan my own once he develops the film. Buying film in bulk is cheaper than I can upgrade into any digital realm again.

The funny thing is... I found a couple of images yesterday that I had forgotten about. One was with the Leica X1 in b/w of our granddaughter in 2013. Nicely done and typically a great image from the X1. The other was done at the same time with my M3 and a 50mm 1.5 Nokton. Side by side, I presented them to my bride and she wasted no time in selecting the film image (Eastman 5222 Double X) as her favorite!

So, no computer upgrades anytime soon. No digital camera upgrades anytime soon. Just film, and more film! The only change in the foreseeable future would be if I start getting paid gigs requiring a D700 or D3. But then, I could not afford them anyway and I would miss the "decivise image" that I could have made with the F6 for my own use.:D

BTW, my favorite films now are Eastman 5222 Double X and Acros 100.

I've been very happy using a F100 for years. Still, I'd love to get a F6 into my hands. I'd lick it clean every morning.

hmm. "Lick it clean..." That's a little excessive for me. But each to their own taste. ]'-)

I acquired an F6 recently. I never bought an F4 or an F5 ... both seemed bloated and over-much compared to my F3/T and I stuck with the F3 until I sold out of Nikon gear in 2001 and moved into digital. Over the course of the past 12 years, I slowly acquired back a few of my favorite Nikon lenses, a couple of years ago I was twice gifted with an F body—one I kept and had overhauled, the other I gave to another friend—so I figured, "What the heck? Get the last 'best of the Nikon' F line body and enjoy it!"

It is a superb piece of equipment. I've changed out the focusing screen for a type A with split image so my short manual lenses are a little easier to focus, and I picked up the usual (a remote release and a tripod adapter plate) so that I can use it for macro and super-tele when and if I desire. I've read the manual and set up entries to cover all my lenses in its non-CPU registers. I still need to order my usual orange, green, yellow, and ND filters in 52mm (gave them away when I sold out of Nikon gear in 2001...sigh). There's film in the 'fridge.

The F6 doesn't replace any of my digital cameras. And I'm selling excess gear off every week. But it was worth it to me to have this last of the best SLRs ever made (IMO, of course).

Now I just have to find time to go do some shooting with it. =8^/

G

+1 Godfrey!!

IMO, it is the best camera at the best deal ever! Glad you are one of the enlightened!!! LOL...

The film rewind is stunning if nothing else!

Congrats Dave and Godfrey for your new tool! I have no plan to look for and buy an F6 (please do not tempt me too much!).
Anyway I'm sure it's an excellent camera, I sometimes use my F100 even if I oft prefer the old manual FM2!

This thread just gave me an idea: I just bought 10 rolls of CineStill film to test them (5 are 50 iso and 5 are 800 iso) they were intended for the M7 but it could be interesting to see how they work with the F100 and its exposure systems.

Hope to see more pics here, please post when you have!
robert

I'm going up to Mendocino tomorrow for a little holiday. Maybe I'll take the F6 as well as the Leica X or Hassy SWC. :)

Just thought about the 'battery hog' comment again. 15 36-exp rolls of film is 540 exposures. That's plenty for two small batteries also powering a fast motor drive for any casual use, IMO. It's obvious Nikon intended pro use to be with the battery grip fitted for 4-5x the capacity. We're just so spoiled by digital cameras that net twice that because they don't power a film drive.

G

OK, this thread is about posting photos!!!

My first roll was E6 and I am waiting to get a box full of E6 exposed film to take to the lab so that must wait. I tried a couple of rolls of Ektar at our granddaughter's softball game and I was impressed even with the cheapo 28-105 lens I was using.

The first roll, I actually went on a walk while at Emory University whilst my bride was working hard in rehab day-program there and re-visited my spiritual home to see how Spring was shaping up. Nothing spectacular as I missed the golden hour but the overcast skies, mist and pleasant temperatures allowed me to visit the area a few weeks after I normally visit.

Here are a couple of snaps from the test roll, with matrix metering:

attachment.php

attachment.php

So, with this roll, I found the camera to be working fine, exposing fine and I was thrilled with the experience. At this point in time, I had absolutely not even thought of art, documentaries, portraits or even cared about using the M3 I carried with me for a year and a half prior. I was too exhausted. So, to find a different experience from my Leicas that I actually enjoyed thoroughly...well, it was an epiphany. Suddenly I was back to where my roots were with film SLRs but this one felt just perfect.

Now, I am looking forward to seeing how I can bond with the F6. How will my photography change? What new techniques and tools will be used with this instrument? I don't know but I am actually looking forward to the future with a camera in hand once again. Photography seems to me to be good therapy...at least for me anyways.

That is why I am interested in your successful experiences with the F6. Living vicariously has its advantages especially when one cannot even leave the house for weeks on end. So, let me see what you have enjoyed!

Attachments

• Summergrove Sakura Closeup FINAL April 2015 F6 rff.jpg
    Summergrove Sakura Closeup FINAL April 2015 F6 rff.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Candler Lake at Lullwater FINAL April 2015 F6 rff.jpg
    Candler Lake at Lullwater FINAL April 2015 F6 rff.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 0
I had an F6 for a brief time. Absolutely wonderful camera, very well thought out. Very classy of Nikon to put an all-out effort to have their last film SLR to be the very best they could make!

But alas, coming from Canon I could not get over the dials turning in the opposite direction. I kept messing up either the focus or exposure settings when it counted the most (I used manual lenses). And having used rangefinders I had to admit that an SLR was a bit too big for me.

Ok here's a few.

Colors are looking really good Jon! Slide film I take it?

Ok folks, lets keep this thread about the photos! So please take any discussion about the F6 matrix metering etc. to a new thread. Also, trolling won't be tolerated. Comments purposely intended to derail this thread will be deleted promptly.

......But alas, coming from Canon I could not get over the dials turning in the opposite direction. I kept messing up either the focus or exposure settings when it counted the most (I used manual lenses)............

I share your pain. You don't have to change brands to suffer this fate. Having used a Leica M6 for years I was attracted to an M6TTL x0.85 but I didn't realise that the shutter knob turned the wrong way. I use both cameras and still mess up.

Back from my weekend away ... A photo from my "F6 Surrogate" for this weekend.

Leica M-P + Nokton 50mm f/1.5 ASPH (LTM)
ISO 3200 @ f/1.5 @ 1/25
OOC JPEG

Just placed an order for the yellow, orange, and green filters I need for the Nikon ... :)

enjoy
G

An experiment with low light sunrise using Eastman 5222 Double X film:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sunrise 3 over Sandestin F6 XX May 2015-2.jpg
    Sunrise 3 over Sandestin F6 XX May 2015-2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
Back