The Film From 1959 That Hollywood Still Shoots Movies With: Eastman Double-X

I don't know what film stock they used (or if there was any digital enhancement applied to the old film prints) but some westerns (TV series and movies) from 50's and 60's are just stunning to watch in B&W. I wonder if Double-X was the film of choice back then?

And the next questions are: How did they develop the film?? Which developer?
And, more generally, are the development protocols similar for movies and for photography?? Cinema is based in positive images...
Regards
Joao

I don't know what film stock they used (or if there was any digital enhancement applied to the old film prints) but some westerns (TV series and movies) from 50's and 60's are just stunning to watch in B&W. I wonder if Double-X was the film of choice back then?

A lot of those were shot on 5231 Plus-X as the in-camera film. It looked quite different to 5222.

And the next questions are: How did they develop the film?? Which developer?
And, more generally, are the development protocols similar for movies and for photography?? Cinema is based in positive images...

5222 is developed for movie use in D92 to a gamma of 0.65-0.7 and printed on 5234 copy film from an interpositive and an internegative.

Plenty of information: Motion Picture Film & Resources | Kodak

I did a lot of work in the 90s and 00s for studios and cine film developing labs doing film QA/QC work and providing criteria for matching contrast, across batches and other mundane technical tasks. But B&W only.

Marty

Back