The first auto-exposure 35mm SLR w/interchangeable lenses

kkdanamatt

Well-known
Local time
6:04 AM
It may have been the Petri FTE or Petri FT-EE, rather than the Konica Auto-Reflex. I don't consider the Contaflex Super B issued in 1963 to qualify because the lenses were not fully interchangeable.
Can anyone provide more details and specific dates of market introduction of the first auto-exposure 35mm SLR w/interchangeable lenses ?

Didn't the Konica come along in 1965 vs the Petri's 1969 intro? Then, shortly after in 1971 there was the Pentax Electro-Spotmatic and the ES in 1972 as Johnny-come-lately. I still have an ES and an ESII but my first SLR was a Petriflex. :)

I think it was/is the Topcon Uni (aka Beseler-Topcon Auto 100) of 1964. Fully interchangeable lenses, though with a behind the lens leaf shutter. The Konica Auto-Reflex was "first" only in being the first with a focal plane shutter.

The Ultramatic came out on 1961 with shutter priority metering. I think the Topcon was first with TTL metering, Ultramatic CS (TTL metering) came out in 1965.

Shawn

I think the Topcon was the first to market with full-aperture TTL metering.

The Minolta SR-T 101 was introduced, in possession of this feature, in 1966, and as I recall Topcon beat them to market by one year.

- Murray

Just to loose another cat among the pigeons, I'm going to nominate the Edixa Electronica of 1962 even though I'm not sure the lenses were fully interchangeable rather than components (although they sure look like the same fully-interchangeable units found on the Kodak Retina Reflex and Retina IIIs...)

Or even the Pentina that apparently came out in '61? Not sure how 'fully' automatic it was though.

The Pentina has a meter linked to the shutter speed and aperture controls. It isn't automatic. Another camera with similar controls is the Agfaflex.

To the best of my knowledge the Konica Autorex of 1965, sold in the US as the Konica Auto Reflex (original model) was the first fully automatic exposure 35mm SLR to reach the market. It was a shutter-priority AE SLR with a trapped needle auto-aperture system.

To the best of my knowledge the Konica Autorex of 1965, sold in the US as the Konica Auto Reflex (original model) was the first fully automatic exposure 35mm SLR to reach the market. It was a shutter-priority AE SLR with a trapped needle auto-aperture system.

My original question regarding the first auto-exposure 35mm SLR should have included the following requirements:

1. focal plane shutter
2. fully interchangeable lenses
3. TTL "wide-open" metering
4. full auto exposure (either SP or AP) and full manual exposure

I recall the Petri FT-EE as being either the first or very high on the list.

My original question regarding the first auto-exposure 35mm SLR should have included the following requirements:

1. focal plane shutter
2. fully interchangeable lenses
3. TTL "wide-open" metering
4. full auto exposure (either SP or AP) and full manual exposure

I recall the Petri FT-EE as being either the first or very high on the list.

According to this site https://buhla.de/Foto/Konica/ATHaupt.html
the Konica Autorflex T (FTA) was sold from 1968 on.
The Petri https://www.throughanoldlens.com/Classic-Cameras/Petri-FT-EE/ seems to be one year later. Both featuring aperture priority.
First shutter prority AE SLR was the Pentax ES 1971 (open metering with modified M42 lenses).

Go east ??

Go east ??

Let me quote another opinion by Jean Loup Princelle

Regards

Joao

http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?-1122705198

Amazing, aperture is selected on the camera. Selenium meter, no battery! (and no TTL either).
Needs a long hard trigger way to get the adjustments done. Kind of Russian Contarex, except that the Contarex never get automatic exposure...
Soviet-Union was really close in the early 60's. Wostok 1, Tupolev-114...!

Back