The I DON'T LIKE POLAROID PRINTS appreciation thread

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
2:17 AM
For a long time I was in the never bother with POLAROID PRINTS camp.

I mean, why when you can spend less money shooting negatives and have a more versatile output.

The answer snuck up on me and clubbed me over the head
until I finally saw the beauty and importance of POLAROID PRINTS.

Their beauty is

1) a unique moment in time, often the only view of that moment
- the photog was busy with their Polaroid

2) a view instantly to share with those present, the excitement of NOW

3) often very long lasting colors

4) something different than anything else that day

5) a photographic image group best to be appreciated when that is ALL there is left,
of that time or of that family or of that person.

6) when the polaroids are all there is left of.....whatever....the photogs impressions and their need to share their view can become very important to the viewer .... who did not like polaroids before.

Please share Polaroids of times, families and people gone from our light and now lost in the past.

Don't forget reason 7) The unique colors and rendering of Polaroid and other instant materials. A whole other set of creative tools! I've been promising myself some sort of Instax something for a while, for just that reason, but I'm afraid it will be another photographic rabbit hole. There's only so much time...

ADMIN EDIT

REASON 8) No batteries or computers necessary to see the Polaroid print.

The Polaroid print is ALWAYS ON and ready to view - a huge help to bridge languages and TIME.

Hundreds of years from now Polaroid fans yet unborn will not need a stinking 2022 compatible electronic gizmo to see Polaroid prints, just their standard OEM eyeballs.

No batteries or brain implant plug ins necessary -- I hope.

What a timely post for me! I spent this morning making Instax Wide prints of 25 residents at a nearby nursing home. Due to Healthcare Privacy legalities, I can't share any of the prints here. I swore an oath to observe their privacy! I used the new "LomoGraflok" adapter for my Sinar Norma large format camera, and it worked great. My intention was to also make a B&W 4x5 image of each resident as well and, when possible, to sneak in a few 35mm images with my Bessa T and Canon lenses. But alas, the residents were coming out of the woodwork! Because of Covid, they had cabin fever, and the word was out to get photos made in the Activity Room. I managed to make a few 4x5 images, and I used the Bessa T for a group shot that some wanted (my 50mm lens on the Bessa was a wider view than my 250mm on the Norma).

I made at least two Instax images of each resident, and they got to keep their favorite. I kept one of each so I can evaluate, improve and remember them by. Because I used my old Fujinar (Tessar) lens, the images are sharp. My lighting was mostly pretty good, though when the rush was on, I just moved too fast at times. And you're right about the colors. The Instax is very different from Polaroid, but lovely in its own way.

But as usual, I tried to mix too many things in. Changing from LomoGraflok to 4x5 meant changing the focus each time AND the aperture since the film speeds varied.

So, when I gave up and just focused on making Instax prints, everyone had more fun. The staff pitched in to help pose folks, beg for smiles, and keep it loose. The residents sometimes gave their prints to one another, and one was going to meet her daughter to show her in just a few minutes. Nothing like instant prints to keep it lively.

The person who works with me at the home says the isolation due to Covid is killing folks, often literally. So Mission 1 was social interaction. Mission 2 was making photos. On my dining room table now are 25 photos of beautiful faces of folks who have lived much, with much left to give.

I called them Polaroids to them because that's what everyone knows them as, but Instax worked great today. Thanks for bringing up the topic, and thanks for getting me into Rangefinders. I am digging them too!

I miss the 4x5 films - especially the B&W. Used a 545i holder in my 4x5 Finney and Robert Rigby Pinhole Cameras. Still have an unopened box of 4x5 Polacolor Pro 100.

Polaroid lover here, perhaps even Polaroid addict !

One from the past, yes it's me !

med_U3692I1608831581.SEQ.0.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	med_U3692I1608831581.SEQ.0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.2 KB ID:	4772912

and one more recent, yes, again me, my Polaroid exhibition of a couple of year ago (before covid stopped all my public activities :-(

med_U3692I1574187987.SEQ.0.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	med_U3692I1574187987.SEQ.0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.0 KB ID:	4772913

I appreciate all the benefits of modern photography, but there is something magical with Polaroid !

med_U3692I1575052801.SEQ.0.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	med_U3692I1575052801.SEQ.0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.9 KB ID:	4772914

This is a good thread. I am still waiting for a special trip during which I plan to use up a portion of my film for my Land Camera 250.

Once again, we see that Vince can pick up any camera and make wonderful images. It's about the vision, not the hardware.

Ah shucks guys -- I do appreciate it, though I know more than a few people would disagree with that sentiment about my photos and abilities.

Seems that whenever I look at old photos done with certain cameras (like my Polaroid SLR 680, Leica Sofort etc), I always wonder why I sold them and wonder if I should get back into them again.

This is old peel apart black and white -- likely shot with my Polaroid 195 which, like the others, is long gone.

Polaroid Riley2 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

One of Loopie, from about 25 years ago.

Loopie Polaroid by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

I used to take pictures of the stupidest things -- I think I still do!

Polaroid Fountain by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

This Polaroid was not taken by me, but by my late teacher, mentor, friend and legendary photographer Dave Heath. I have about thirty more that he took that day -- too bad he didn't sign any of them!

Coffee With Dave Heath by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Their beauty is…

Excellent thread - and you’ve nailed all the reasons Polaroid images have a special value. I’ve seen wonderful Instax photos as well.

In terms of quality, the pack film was unbeatable- either Polaroid or Fuji. The colors and tonality are breathtaking to me. Best of all, the pack film cameras were very cheap 10 years ago. Sadly, I discovered these only as Fuji was discontinuing them. I have only 18 boxes each of Fuji color and B&W - bought when prices were under $20.

But the SX-70 imagery and color gamut has an appearance I love. I even experimented with “manipulation” of some prints and got pleasing results. This is a technique I initially hated and derided when I’d first heard about it decades ago. But then I discovered a book about it - which I opened with the intent of affirming my hate - only to discover truly beautiful images. I bought that book and discovered a fun and new art form.

My two best SX-70 images were made in Yosemite - one of El Capitan and one of Half Dome. These are just simple straight photos. I had them scanned and printed as 8x10’s. They hang on my front room wall today and they actually look like paintings, such is the color. Not in any other film format nor digital could I have made something as nice.

Yes! What you’ve shown here is wonderful.

Many thanks - it’s something to consider.

An Instax back for the Ermanox! Do it, Vince!

Instax in the Ermanox? I’ve been looking at a few DIY videos online, but I have no idea how I could make that happen. I do, however, have one of those currently-useless film pack backs that fit the Ermanox and is a possibility, but the interior dimensions of the back are 51mm x 86mm, and the Instax Mini film is 53mm x 86mm, so I'm 2mm short. Not sure how I could possibly make it work.

EDIT: I just tried one of my Instax Mini prints and it in fact fits perfectly into an individual glass plate holder (the film won't fit in the film pack back). However, the dark slide would not fit along with it, so I'd have to load a single holder into the camera in a changing bag, then take the picture, put the camera back into the changing bag and then process it in an Instax Mini camera. Definitely possible, albeit a bit cumbersome. It would be a lot better if the dark slide could also fit, then I could pre-load a bunch of glass plate holders with Instax film and then process them later.

Back