The Important Concerns

KM-25, I'm sure there are a number of "working pros" out there making use of the latest technology and finding it incredibly useful. But you gotta remember the vast majority of this forum are "civilians"...just average, but devoted, photo enthusiasts. Some collectors, some talented photographers and some complete gear heads with no real talent. It's a funky mix of people with a funky mix of opinions.

Having worked as a PJ in the distant past (film, darkroom, Nikon F, prime lenses and Tri-X pushed waaay beyond 1600 frequently), I understand where you're coming from. I can recall when people felt the first 300/2.8 Nikkor lenses were too big and heavy to effectively use. Those Dark Ages are the days from which I come--not today's race for hyper-sharp and hyper-real imaging with a large dose of videography.

But most of us don't have the incentive, talent or need for exotic gear for everyday use. Personally, I don't mind dealing with my old Nikon DSLR's size and weight--even the venerable boat anchor D3. But as I get older, weaker, fatter and less interested in gear, I find I'm shooting with a 50mm and a 35mm lens most of the time and my pictures are better for the simplification. That is, at least within the narrow confines of my ancient history.

Ummm, the post right above yours?

Does no one read my posts? Do I annoy people with examples, Bill included who has never responded to a post of mine? What the hell is wrong this community???

If you come to my town where I live and work, you will see my photos all over, many in magazines but several in murals, point of purchase displays, often as large as 10⠀™ x 12⠀™ feet.

I had two tribute shows on large screens this year for Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Madeline Albright, the highest quality and highest resolution possible was the requirement.

And of course above all else, the impact of the moment and meaning in the photograph was absolutely paramount in every case mentioned above.

I have always tried my best to weigh in on here with a view that is almost consistently missing, someone actually working in the current arena. But no one seems interested in that and so it comes off *very* old boys club and siloed hereâà‚€Â ¦:-(

And I shoot lots of film and print it in a darkroom by the way.

I read your posts always and never find fault with them. However, it could be a little bit of shut up and listen, you can learn something. We cannot relate, but it does not mean we do not believe you or listen. I think sometimes people post based on the first thread without reading all of the responses.

I love photography and do it every day, but the facts are I am simply a proud amateur who does photography answering only to my needs and wants. However, I do like your posts, so please keep posting.

Last edited:
Does no one read my posts? Do I annoy people with examples, Bill included who has never responded to a post of mine? What the hell is wrong this community???
It's not you, I think it's an internet culture which favors spectacles and short attention spans, rather than more nuanced posts. Not referring to anyone in particular here, but I find that many fora have a few super-prolific members who follow all the rules, and may have the best of intentions, but they can drown out quieter voices.

I think that if I were a better photographer, I'd have no problem in creating meticulous and exacting works which made full use of the resolving power of my lens and sensor, as well as rougher-hewn, even impressionistic photos, all with the same cameras and lenses. And goodness knows that today's ultra-premium lenses can yield buttery-smooth bokeh, so the potential is there for creating wonderfully vague images as well as razor-sharp ones.

"Hodachrome" seems to be one of those people who possesses crazy in-camera skill:

Bill included who has never responded to a post of mine?

I think in my entire time on the forum I haven’t made a dozen replies. In part that’s workload. But more important, I’ve always thought my job was to suggest a topic that’s worthwhile and beneficial - and get out of the way. It’s all the different voices that count. Anyway, here’s a reply, not that it does a lot to add to the information flow.

Working as a Computer Engineer in an Optics Division for 40 years, 15 years supervising optical engineers- I've had to learn something about optics and practical implementations of tools. Almost as long as I've shot Nikons.

There has to be a balance between non-recurring engineering, cost per unit, and market for a company to be successful.
I worry that Nikon and much of the camera industry has lost sight of potential market with these expensive and huge optical marvels. Just back from a week at the beach, and was the only person using a Camera and not a cell phone to take pictures that I saw.

Maybe Nikon has decided to focus on the Pro market only with lenses like to 50/1.2 and 58/0.95. That's their call, we'll know in 5 years if the strategy works.

Working as a Computer Engineer in an Optics Division for 40 years, 15 years supervising optical engineers- I've had to learn something about optics and practical implementations of tools. Almost as long as I've shot Nikons.

There has to be a balance between non-recurring engineering, cost per unit, and market for a company to be successful.
I worry that Nikon and much of the camera industry has lost sight of potential market with these expensive and huge optical marvels. Just back from a week at the beach, and was the only person using a Camera and not a cell phone to take pictures that I saw.

Maybe Nikon has decided to focus on the Pro market only with lenses like to 50/1.2 and 58/0.95. That's their call, we'll know in 5 years if the strategy works.

There are scads of old lenses on the market which work very, very well. Many of the old Jupiters are great lenses, at least I like them a lot. There are other Russian, Japanese and German lenses as well as the more modern and affordable CV and Chinese lenses available. There is also a large market of used cameras. One can be outfitted with a good camera and lens for about the same price as a phone. Granted, you cannot call anyone with the camera or text them but there is always the possibility of a better image.

The question is whether there is a market for the hobby photographer in cameras rather than phones. Probably not. Current phones are really good point and shoots. And they are not intimidating nor do they require packing any extra gear. They fit in a shirt pocket along with a pair of glasses. Nowadays you always have your phone with you. And they take movies and the photos can be shared immediately on the internet. Those are strong arguments for the phone over the camera for the average consumer, as you saw on the beach.

Cameras may be being left behind just like film photography.

Back