The Impossible Project, new integral film...

sweathog

Well-known
Local time
3:14 AM
Just stumbled across The Impossible Project, who seem to be hoping to fill the gap left by Polaroid giving up instant film.

Their message is this: "We aim to re-start production of analog INTEGRAL FILM for vintage Polaroid cameras in 2010. We have acquired Polaroid's old equipment, factory and seek your support."

Fingers crossed.

Ten year lease! OMG! Optimistic, aren't we! :)

I thought Fuji was still producing at least some Polaroid-compatible film.

I think Florian Kaps is an excellent choice for marketing the new integral film. The Lomographic society achieved something very important: they made film cool for the younger generation. Art students and the arty types at high schools all over love it. The reason Lomo can charge a premium for their products is that they have marketed so well that people think it's worth it.

The only way the new integral film is going to survive is if the market grows, and young people with money to spend are the best new customers. Lomo was successful in appealing to that market with roll film cameras and it will be a great thing for all of us film buffs if Florian Kaps can turn the trick again with integral instant.

Film is no longer necessary for recording and reproducing images. It is, arguably, not even the best way to do it in some cases. If I wanted to record a kid's first birthday party for posterity, I sure wouldn't use a Polaroid, even though I have several. But when I want a unique experience (say, for a friend's 40th birthday party), I bring my 'roids and hand them around. People have a great time shooting each other, watching the images develop, and trading pictures like baseball cards (sometimes with phone numbers scrawled on the back). I sometimes take some of the pack images home and make a photo collage using emulsion transfer. People talk about using the Polaroids for months afterwards.

Film will die unless the next generations see it as a creative medium that offers a highly personal experience that they can't get from digital. The marketing effort that carries this message will be extremely important for the success of the project.

For once I am willing to put aside my thoughts on Mr Kaps.
I believe that he will be able to put the product back out there, and even if it is at inflated prices, it will possibly mean others will look into it...

I know what I want -- integral film I can load into a standard medium format camera. I'd even be satisfied with single frames that I sticky into the camera for each shot. That would be boss awesome.

I know what I want -- integral film I can load into a standard medium format camera. I'd even be satisfied with single frames that I sticky into the camera for each shot. That would be boss awesome.

Buy a Polaroid 100 back ( I have one for my Hasselblad, perhaps you can get one for other MF cameras) then stick some of this: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/66910...atible-Professional-Instant-Print?cat_id=2401 or this: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/02602...x-4.25-Instant-Print-Film-10-Pack?cat_id=2401 or this: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/02602...x-4.25-Instant-Print-Film-10-Pack?cat_id=2401 in it and you have what you want.

Selling cheap plastic chinese cameras for outrageous prices is one thing. Bringing back a film from the dead another entirely. But if you have created a market where kids will pay several hundred dollars for plastic Lubitels, they might be willing to pay $100 a pack to put in an old SX-70 and create instant "art." Stranger things have happened.

I appreciate the advice, kully. I was just musing/hoping that it would be nice to use medium format instant film in the more entry level cameras. Like, for example, the infamous Lubitels.

As it stands right now, either you have to get a Hassy, Bronica, etc. or you make due with a Holgaroid or pinhole camera. There's no middle ground...

You guys are sick. Sometimes I just hate being an old man, cause I understand what you are talking about. In the old days, it would have sailed blissfully over my head.

Back