The Jupiter-12 picture gallery

Wonder how many people had a lens test chart next to their Christmas tree ? :rolleyes:

Hmm, time to dust off my old J12 and get some winter pix :)

Good thread! Those xmas tree pictures are lovely, Thomas. Really nice and festive.

I just got my second J12, so I now have one in each rangefinder mount, and I've noticed something - I can't put a hood on the LTM mount one, but I can on the Kiev one. The LTM one is built so that the whole body of the lens moves forward and back while the front element seems to stay still, meaning the body butts up against any hood that I mount. Is anyone else's like that? And if so, has anyone found a hood that fits?

Anyhow, pictures:

Looking down the aisle, Derby Cathedral. by Coldkennels, on Flickr

Waiting. by Coldkennels, on Flickr

Untitled by Coldkennels, on Flickr

Harai Goshi. by Coldkennels, on Flickr

Coldkennels, I've got the two versions of the J-8 and they both take a 40.5 mm screw on lens hood. You get cheap and cheerful chinese ones from ebay sellers like heavystar. It screws on the front aperture ring of the lens.

U26539I1225648097.SEQ.0.jpg

U26539I1236532322.SEQ.0.jpg

Coldkennels, I've got the two versions of the J-8 and they both take a 40.5 mm screw on lens hood. You get cheap and cheerful chinese ones from ebay sellers like heavystar. It screws on the front aperture ring of the lens.

I'm aware of this - the issue is that the lens hood screws on, but then the LTM lens cannot focus. The body jams up against the "shoulder" of the hood as you focus towards the close-end of the scale. It's a bit annoying, to say the least. I need a hood that doesn't obstruct the focusing mechanism.

I'm aware of this - the issue is that the lens hood screws on, but then the LTM lens cannot focus. The body jams up against the "shoulder" of the hood as you focus towards the close-end of the scale. It's a bit annoying, to say the least. I need a hood that doesn't obstruct the focusing mechanism.
I've just checked with the LTM version. Event if I screw the hood as far as it will go, I can still focus down to 1,20 or 4 feet. If I unscrew 1 1/2 turn, then I can get minimum focus, ie 1m or 3 feet 4 inches.
But I never focus that close anyway.

Here's two more with the Kiev 4 :

U26539I1236532314.SEQ.0.jpg

U26539I1236532319.SEQ.0.jpg

This one is Jup-12 on Leica IIIa

U26539I1244652189.SEQ.0.jpg

I Used a lathe to turn a chamfer into the shoulder of a metal hood to make the clearance.

I Used a lathe to turn a chamfer into the shoulder of a metal hood to make the clearance.

That's exactly what I've been thinking of doing. I'll have to see if know anyone who has access to a lathe locally.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who's had that problem, though. I heard so many people say they were using hoods that I was beginning to think something was wrong with my J12.

A bit more on topic: Rogrund, that top image is fantastic. I don't know what it is, but it really appeals to me. Geometry and a sense of space, perhaps?

Rogrund, that top image is fantastic. I don't know what it is, but it really appeals to me. Geometry and a sense of space, perhaps?

Yes, I think its the three dimensional geometry which is supported through the diagonal line separating light and shadow, what makes this image very special.

OK! I will play...

Not Sideways (Latourelle Falls)

Kiev 4A, Legacy Pro 400

Metal Chicken

Kiev 4A, Legacy Pro 400

Walls With Windows

Kiev 4A, Legacy Pro 400

Take A Hard Right At the Edge Of The Bluff

Kiev 4A, Legacy Pro 400

This Way

Kiev 4A, Legacy Pro 400

Antique Base

Kiev 4A, Legacy Pro 400

Steve

4806708620_33630ec41b_z.jpg

This is with the Kiev mount version on a Nikon S3 (yes, they can scratch the camera's front plate - but this S3 is already pretty beaten up so it does not matter).
TriX, HC 110 1:60/12 min

Back