The new NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S

The new S line primes 20/35/50/85 1.8 are what makes me really like the Z System approach so far. These are lenses that were very popular in F mount, just updated optical performance and specs like slightly closer focussing. Really looking forward to these lenses!
The only problem is that they will compete with my M lenses of the same FL ;-)

Cheers

It's a start I guess... I don't know much about this novel big throat mini stuff I'll admit...electromagnetic diaphragm... I'm trying to wrap my head around that

I thought the idea of mirrorless was smaller size. Am i wrong?

Maybeperhapsnotsounlikely we were absolutelytotallycompletely wrong :D

Additionally, if you want your aperture control being part of the lens, you need this huuuuuuge chunk of an adapter:

one-adapter.png

I thought the idea of mirrorless was smaller size. Am i wrong?

If you are looking at m43/aps-c, yes.
Why would you assume a 'full frame' sensor would make for a smaller body? You still need the same sized AF lenses to cover that sensor. Advantages are the removal of the mirror, focusing directly off the sensor, etc etc.

Check the monstrous size of the Leica SL with 50 1.4 lens.
Akshully my Sigma Art 50 is huge too, and the Zeiss Otus!! Wow! Now I've forgotten what my point was...

(want small - either m43/aps-c or Leica M)

If you are looking at m43/aps-c, yes.
Why would you assume a 'full frame' sensor would make for a smaller body? You still need the same sized AF lenses to cover that sensor. Advantages are the removal of the mirror, focusing directly off the sensor, etc etc.

Check the monstrous size of the Leica SL with 50 1.4 lens.
Akshully my Sigma Art 50 is huge too, and the Zeiss Otus!! Wow! Now I've forgotten what my point was...

(want small - either m43/aps-c or Leica M)

"Advantages are the removal of the mirror" --- well, that 27.5 mm (edit: or even 30.5 mm?) piece that the camera body is now thinner than an SLR of the same make, is now -- necessarily -- added on all but very few lenses.

So it's a not so small weight addition on each lens -- still an advantage? :confused:

(Erm, IMHO, the true RF concept is still superior, heck, even a humble Leicaflex is still superior ;))

I think optical excellence rather than size was the priority for both Nikon and Canon's new mirrorless lens offerings. They'll probably release smaller (slower) versions later, after the well-heeled early adopters buy first.

I read somewhere recently that the "mine is bigger than yours" mindset is still a significant factor in consumer purchases. Also explains why Canon's white L lenses were desirable, apart from their optical characteristics: they stood out more.

they definitely achieved the goal of lighter camera gears by going mirrorless.

however with the advent of high megapixel full-frame sensors, they are being held back by the current lenses.

IMO Fuji nailed it by not jumping into the saturated FF market.
If you want something small and light then go Fuji X, if you want best IQ and don't mind the size then go GFX

From my reading, it appears that Nikon is starting with their most optically advanced lenses, and following up with smaller/less expensive lenses. Not all is lost.

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2018/08/great-news-from-nikon.html

By compromising somewhat on performance, right? Though, I'd prefer if they did it by going manual focus.

I don’t think we will see those $100 50mm lenses for this system... but maybe a $250 50mm f2 or something like that.

they definitely achieved the goal of lighter camera gears by going mirrorless.

however with the advent of high megapixel full-frame sensors, they are being held back by the current lenses.

IMO Fuji nailed it by not jumping into the saturated FF market.
If you want something small and light then go Fuji X, if you want best IQ and don't mind the size then go GFX

All Fuji did is follow there history really.... The FF market is very saturated plus they didn't have any history in that landscape... APC made good sense... X-Trans sensor is it achilles heel I don't care what anyone says... I had the XPro2 nice camera...sensor is flawed with the smearing of detail, watercolor effect..etc Medium Format made perfect sense with there history in that landscape plus that's more a niche market but still has plenty of room to grow...

Back