The new RX1 and comments from Sony...

BobYIL

Well-known
Local time
6:07 PM
A few days ago I was mentioning about why the E-mount could not be suitable for interchangeable lens FF-format for direct mounting; the positioning of the sensor wrt to the flange, also the position of the "communication" pins. Also today I mentioned about the necessity of some unconventional formula for the Sonnar 35/2, with some certainty to come out with oversize rear element, like Fujifilm needed for some X-P1 lenses.. Not only for the RX1, but for any FF-format mirrorless unless the lenses were not of retrofocal design. (Surely via an appropriate adapter it's possible to use A-mount lenses on the Nex-VG900 however try to note the complications and requirements of the sort of lens design to be required for compact FF lenses for direct mounting on the e-flange and especially the shutter requirements too..)

Today Sony's Mark Weir has brought some explanations to such issues. Those who are interested to know about design limitations and restrictions concerning FF sensors in mirrorless compact bodies may find his comments noteworthy.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...ull-frame-go-mirrorless-and-whats-the-deal-wi

It's a very interesting read (and a very enticing camera.) However, when I read " But I think that in the context of a mount system, it’s somewhat impractical to develop a mount system that presumes that there will be a shutter in every lens and there will be no focal plane shutter, " I did think of the Mamiya 7 system.

That said, I expect the biggest problems would still be dealing with issues around wide angle lenses; maybe, the Ricoh lens/sensor combo idea still has some life in it.

It's a very interesting read (and a very enticing camera.) However, when I read " But I think that in the context of a mount system, it’s somewhat impractical to develop a mount system that presumes that there will be a shutter in every lens and there will be no focal plane shutter, " I did think of the Mamiya 7 system.

That said, I expect the biggest problems would still be dealing with issues around wide angle lenses; maybe, the Ricoh lens/sensor combo idea still has some life in it.

Lens/sensor module is a costly solution with FF sensor. Leaf shutter in each lens is too problematic, having shorter life also top speeds are relatively lower, AF too complicated.

I think Sony is testing the waters with the RX1 and $2.800; i.e. what would be the interest (the same way Fujifilm did with the X100 before introducing the XP1). One thing is for sure: If they get the reaction they expected then a totally new mount for the compact-FF should be on the way for the "select" Zeiss AF lenses specifically designed for this mount/camera. IMHO, it will be a higher-price class camera with fine Zeiss lenses.. (Zeiss already stepped into higher class AF lens production for the APS-C with their new lenses for the Nex series and XP1.)

Wonder just how close that rear element is to the sensor? What's the Fuji x100 sensor to rear element distance?
It's the same sensor as the a99 but different in that there will be no PDAF pixels. Should of asked him about the micro-lens array and its design with respect to the standard sensor that's being used in a number of dSLRs.

Wonder just how close that rear element is to the sensor? What's the Fuji x100 sensor to rear element distance?
It's the same sensor as the a99 but different in that there will be no PDAF pixels. Should of asked him about the micro-lens array and its design with respect to the standard sensor that's being used in a number of dSLRs.

Great question.

The X100 rear element to sensor distance is very short. I'm not sure the exact distance is in the public domain. In fact, occasionally new users discover they have reflection and flare artifacts when they put an inexpensive lens filter on their X100.

However, the camcorder version of it already came out, Joe. A Full Frame NEX camcorder ... which has complete still camera functions, with even more external controls than the NEX-7 ...

Technically speaking, if one wasn't keen on the form factor of a rangefinder, the Sony VG900 would do the job of a Full Frame NEX.

Back