The Nikon struggle to Survive Nov 2020

Conversely, I'm now shooting more with Nikon DSLRs and less with my Fujis. I still love using the XPros but when I bought a used D800 a while back it was like being reunited with an old friend. I started with the Nikon F in the early 70s but I had moved on by the end of the 90s. Personally I found it totally satisfying using Nikons again. Big, ugly, heavy and as solid as a brick they produce beautiful files that are a breeze to run through PP software. I absolutely love looking through those big optical finders.

Okay. I'm a dinosaur. I'm fine with that.

Conversely, I'm now shooting more with Nikon DSLRs and less with my Fujis. I still love using the XPros but when I bought a used D800 a while back it was like being reunited with an old friend. I started with the Nikon F in the early 70s but I had moved on by the end of the 90s. Personally I found it totally satisfying using Nikons again. Big, ugly, heavy and as solid as a brick they produce beautiful files that are a breeze to run through PP software. I absolutely love looking through those big optical finders.

You ain't for DSLR use. One of our daughters swear by it. My young colleague was only after DSLR earlier this year. I see young ones with DSLRs. They have odd habit to use and carry on without any strap.
But those DSLRs are from Canon :).

I agree that an optional native ability to produce already-corrected, ready-to-instagram digital files right out of the camera (like an iPhone) is something that is sorely lacking in all mirrorless systems. Although pro and serious amateur photographers mostly all want a flat RAW file to correct, the vast, vast majority of the population wants to take an easy photo and post it in less than 5 minutes to social media accounts.

I think the serious amateur market is the target now... no camera is going to replace the phone unless you are serious about photography for some reason. If you are serious about photography, then you will put in the extra time and effort.

I think the serious amateur market is the target now... no camera is going to replace the phone unless you are serious about photography for some reason. If you are serious about photography, then you will put in the extra time and effort.

Some effort. Next to none effort. Getting my RP connected to phone, transferring images to and editing them on the phone is next to no-brainer.
And it takes about one minute to edit photo and send it to FB, Insta on Flickr.

But I'm one of those odd persons who thinks what photography with the content is not about editing. It is about time and effort to get the content in the image.

Some effort. Next to none effort. Getting my RP connected to phone, transferring images to and editing them on the phone is next to no-brainer.
And it takes about one minute to edit photo and send it to FB, Insta on Flickr.

But I'm one of those odd persons who thinks what photography with the content is not about editing. It is about time and effort to get the content in the image.

I haven't worked with or seen an RP in the flesh. Everything I have read says it is a great camera to use with excellent resolution, color, dynamic range , and useablity in low light. Not perfect but very good for the money.

I also prefer optical finders over EVF. I can’t objectively explain why. I just like them.

Apple's A14 is made in 5 nm technology and I guess that ASML is the only company being able to make machines for that process. ASML is banned from selling it's equipment to China so China is stuck with the 14 nm technology for the moment. I don't know if any company in Japan is able to manufacture chips in 5 nm on ASML machines. One silicon (Si) atom has a metallic radius of 210 pm, 5 nm corresponds to about 23 Si atoms. This requires extreme precision during all steps of wafer production.

Hi Doc;

In the last few years, EVU Litho has been making in-roads into the optical stepper world. I wasn't sure of the progress. It's why i wondered about Nikon Steppers. The technology has moved beyond what most (all?) lens optics will deliver. It seems, it's all mirrors and LASERS with the new device. As Jon says, ASML is the major player.

This isn't my field and, i don't keep up with the day to day advancements. But, there's lots written about the new technology. I don't know if Nikon can/will compete in the changing technology? Maybe, Jon is up on this?

How does the laser technology in EUV lithography work?
https://www.laserfocusworld.com/blo...-the-laser-technology-in-euv-lithography-work

I also prefer optical finders over EVF. I can’t objectively explain why. I just like them.

It's the same with VR goggles - with proper resolution and framerate they should be indistinguishable, but (as Jack Black said it) we don't have the technology yet. Having said that - it's pretty well executed in X100F.

Potential solution to Nikon’s situation:

Resume production of the FM3a.

They would sell like hot cakes. Well, I’d have one (price depending).

if I recall, they had to connect retired employees back in 00's to make FM3a happen...

When was the last time anyone ever bought a hot cake?
Lol
I don’t know. It’s a strange saying, isn’t it, but no doubt you know the meaning.

The chance of Nikon resuming FM3a production is probably, marginally, less than hot cakes being the next world-wide craze.

But, I can dream.

Lol
I don’t know. It’s a strange saying, isn’t it, but no doubt you know the meaning.

The chance of Nikon resuming FM3a production is probably, marginally, less than hot cakes being the next world-wide craze.

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist.:)

I haven't worked with or seen an RP in the flesh. Everything I have read says it is a great camera to use with excellent resolution, color, dynamic range , and useablity in low light. Not perfect but very good for the money.

With Canon cameras resolution always depends on the lens. L lenses gives best resolution and colors.
Dynamic range is lost child these days. Illiterate gear observers calls DR the lousy process of pushing badly under exposed images to something visible.
With my professional knowledge in image processing, DR represents amount of gradations. In color, contrast and exposure. RP is not ideal in this regard. My oldie E-PL1 is better on exposure DR.
Low light is up to date, IMO.

It is lowest priced, next to compact FF camera. For me it is the best deal. Two not huge lenses are available now. 35 and 50 RF.

Croppers are for losers. Every time I put traditional lens on cropper I loose heck a lot of image :).

From a volume perspective you are spot on target. While there is large number of photographers who have grown up in a menu/digital space, the serious amateurs who have cash to invest are older and look to having the older set of controls on lenses and the body.

Ricoh did a great job of developing a camera that managed to find a way into serious amateurs and professionals hearts. Fuji did the same with the X100 series.

I remember Nikon announce three fixed lens bodies that I thought might be a serious effort for this market, but I'm sure some finance.marketing person decided not to.

Another generation or two of Smart Phone Cameras and I think we can call the winners in mass market camera that Kodak built an empire on decades ago. And, it wont be a traditional camera manufacture.

While the glass race continues, there's space for less expensive glass for this serious amateur market for reasonably priced and sized glass that is good enough. Every lenses does not need to be f1.4, wide angle lenses that look like my old 85/1.8 with it's lens hood become focal point for subjects rather than what they are doing.

I think JSR is right.

B2 (;->

Apple's A14 is made in 5 nm technology and I guess that ASML is the only company being able to make machines for that process. ASML is banned from selling it's equipment to China so China is stuck with the 14 nm technology for the moment. I don't know if any company in Japan is able to manufacture chips in 5 nm on ASML machines. One silicon (Si) atom has a metallic radius of 210 pm, 5 nm corresponds to about 23 Si atoms. This requires extreme precision during all steps of wafer production.

Doc,

Thinking of precision..

I'm just wondering, Pick and Place robots working with really small SMD's have to be really high precision for the newer tech. A 304 pin QFP's placement is critical. I'm sure, the newer tech requires even higher precision.

Does putting more stuff into an IC mean a change in the PC board architecture ?

I understand that (maybe wrong?) the robots for high precision P&P, while designed in the States, don't live here. They are all in Taiwan, according to a friend who designs robots.

Who's building the Robots for the newer tech and, are they in EU? Or, has board density reached a limit?

(I'm just thinking about solder bridges and Tin Whiskers?)

Edit, I had some time to poke around..

A14 is being made in Taiwan by TSMC.

Snip
TSMC is the first foundry to provide 7 and 5 nanometer production capabilities with the latter being applied on the new Apple A14 SoC, and the first to commercialize Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) lithography technology in high volume.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSMC

Not odd at all, but there's also nothing wrong with having content to edit and editing in whichever way serves your desired outcome. Content and post processing are not mutually exclusive.

Just read that Nikon has laid off 2,000 people, outside of Japan, and has apparently cut their R&D budget too. Drastic measures for trying times. Jim B.

...and unfortunately, many a thousand other companies all over the world. Them are the times.

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist.:)

The idiom to sell like hotcakes comes from the United States where the term hotcake was coined in the nineteenth century. It is simply a synonym for a pancake. ... The origin of this idiom is largely undocumented and has led most to believe it comes simply from pancakes being a popular item for sale at fairs and festivals :D

I would buy another FM3a. But that's the problem with any such film camera: there are too many rugged high quality cameras out there already which will last dozens of years. Those of us who like such cameras are a minority within a minority.

When was the last time anyone ever bought a hot cake?

Before the pandemic, I would order the McDonald's hotcakes, eggs, and sausage breakfast.

But, I can dream.

Dreaming now... warmth... soft hot fluffy pancakes with melted butter... a pristine FM3a with a beautiful lens and coated glass... Kodak Plus X...

Back