The Nokton 50/1.1 Revisited

ferider

Mentor
Local time
7:32 AM
Lots of reports on this lens, some love it (available light performer) and some hate it (bokeh and focus shift).

After receiving the lens a month ago and using it a bit on the 240, I guess I am falling into the first camp. In a nutshell, except for its size, the lens is a reliable all-around performer, very usable wide open, sharp at f1.4 and above, and - compared to other fast 50s - has relatively low distortion.

First impressions:

The lens is big but not too heavy. On the heavy 240, it feels well balanced.

tn1-XL.jpg

On my camera, out of the box, the lens is center focus calibrated somewhere between f1.4 and f2; it shifts noticeably backwards (f1.1, f1.4 and f2.0, click on the picture for larger size):

CenterShift.jpg

When you account for the cosine effect (focus and recompose a bit off center, see also http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148485), the lens turns out to be dead on wide open, perfect for my use:

CosineEffect.jpg

Vignetting is noticeable at infinity, but disappears mostly at f2. My favorite, close to infinity test target, our neighbor's antenna about 100 feet away:

Vignetting.jpg

The lens is quite sharp at infinity even wide open. At f1.1 and f1.4, resolution is mostly limited by CA. At f2.0 and up the lens is very good. I remember seeing a measurement where the Nokton was compared to the 0.95 Noctilux and ZM Planar, and the Nokton clearly outperformed the Noctilux and was similar to the Planar @ f2.0 (http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/comparing-rangefinder-and-slr-50mm-lenses-version-0-7); I can confirm this.

Same test target as above, center crop to show resolution for different apertures:

NearInfinityCenter.jpg

At, f1.1, the Nokton performance is about the same as a pre-asph Summilux at f1.4, IMO.

Also off-center / in the field, performance is decent:

NearInfinityField.jpg

To be continued ....

In use ...

In use ...

... on a business trip to Beijing. All shots wide open.

Colleagues from work:

L1000006.jpg

L1000010.jpg

L1000009.jpg

And out on the streets ....

L1000016bw.jpg

L1000021-X2.jpg

L1000023.jpg

(nice to have selective focus at a distance ....)

L1000017-X2.jpg

(sharpness is over-rated :) )

L1000025-X2.jpg

Cheers,

Roland.

It's a good lens, and now you see them for good prices :) Just Big and Heavy, like nearly all the superspeed lenses except the Sonnetar.

Mine focuses pretty well on the M9 even at f/1.1 and after dark I often take it. :)

Here it is stopped down on the A7.mod:

DSC00859 by unoh7, on Flickr

and wide open:

Be Prepared by unoh7, on Flickr

Cooling off by unoh7, on Flickr

I can confirm Rolands writings completely.

The lens is heavy, but much lighter than the Noctilux 50mm f/1.

I've never seen a lens this sharp @ f/2, see picture. At full aperture, this lens is absolutely great for portraits.

No distortion. Great lens for a silly price.

Leica M5, Nokton 50mm f/1.1, Tmax400.

Erik.

16784851900_70a59bbcfb_c.jpg

Have thought about this lens a lot recently and thanks for putting up the photos of the test shots. Two things are holding me back: I really don't like having duplicate lenses of the same focal length and I do not know how much I would really use its low light capabilities.

I own the 35f1.2 and a 35f2.8 and have had the 35f1.2 mounted for the last month on the M9 but have not used it anywhere I could not have used the C-Biogon. I figure the same thing would apply to the 50f1.1 and my 50 Summicron.

It does appear to be a great lens for the money. Even though I have the money, I no longer can justify the price of Leica optics as jewelry so if I was really looking for a super fast 50, I would get this lens.

I like the lens. I had a ZM Sonnar (and Planar) before, which is different in character. I may prefer the VL Nokton overall, it has spot-on focus at f/1.1 and is very sharp stopped down.
I have a feeling if that lens was a Leica and demanded three times the price, it would have a much better reputation and perceived performance....

Here at f/9.5 on an M8.2 (taken in Armenia).

L1000833-Edit-2.jpg

I have a feeling if that lens was a Leica and demanded three times the price, it would have a much better reputation and perceived performance...
I don't know about that, but I know I wouldn't have bought the lens at three times the price regardless of brand or reputation.

Great photos, Helen, Peter and Erik.

Some more from last night in Beijing.

L1000026-X2.jpg

L1000029.jpg

The team shopping for hats ....

L1000036.jpg

Roland.

this thread got me off my ass to process my roll of Tri-x I had sitting in front of me. Love the Nokton.

Back