The Official RFF FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

Us Dutchies are just being sore losers.

It wasn't the pass right before the goal, but one just before that.
It was the second time I saw our team lose on something like that.

And if it had gone to penalties, we would have lost too. Somehow the Dutch team always suffers from major peer-pressure when it comes penalties.

Anyway, Spain won and they deserved it!

The Spanish are masters at zone playing, all their team constantly participates in the game and most passes are passed on with a single touch to the ball, there's always one player that can be reached easily. A very accomplished way of playing that requires a lot of tactical insight from each player.

The only way to stop the Spanish from winning was to disturb their very capable zone playing. In Dutch, thius means coming in just a tad too rough and scoring a deck of cards. Had they managed to stop the Spanish from playing their game in a sportive way, I would have been sad for losing. Now, it was justice done.

Robin van Persie was the biggest Dutch sport in the field: after the Spanish goalie kicked the ball out to allow a team member to be treated, Sneijder kicked it back to the goalie but nearly scored a goal, goalie touched the ball on the way out.
Robin van Persie used the resulting corner to return the ball to the Spanish goalie. Bravo! Most other Dutch players apparently tried to seed the Spanish by plowing them under...

No comments on Webb, he could have (should have!) sent De Jong off after that kick to the Spanish players chest.

Spain have won and justice has been done. Congrats, we'll take that cup off you in 2014 :cool:

Sneijder kicked it back to the goalie but nearly scored a goal, goalie touched the ball on the way out.
I wonder what you have happened if Holland had scored on that one ?
Would they have left Spain equalize to compensate ?
What a weird situation that would have been.

I think Webb must have been partially or fully unsighted on the De Jong open-heart surgery on Alonso. Either that or he just didn't want to send a player off at that stage of the game. Ironic that the Dutch coach blamed the ref for their defeat...

Diego Forlan won the best player award - couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Agreed, what a terrific young talent he is and great that he wants to stay with Bayern too. :)

Last edited:
Well, it was great watching the cup with you guys. But like every bar has a closing time, our OT sports thread has a proper place, that is the OT forum. So, with congratulations to Spain I am going to move our thread over. Of course you can continue to comment, and I can't wait to bring the topic up front 4 years from now in Brazil.

I actually enjoyed this tournament more than previous ones, not sure why as my own team were predictably rubbish as usual. Personally I blame the kit. Embarrassing looking, and not even in the country's traditional colors. :rolleyes:

On reflection, I think it was because of the fans and the host nation. South Africans can be justifiably proud of themselves for doing such an incredible job when there was so much doubt prior to the tournament. The nation as a whole seemed to be thrilled with the event. What a great country and now I have to go to Africa; never been there.

The fans were great and in some cases more fun to watch than the football. :) Finally also congrats to Spain, without question the best team and now they have the Euro and World cups. It seems almost a travesty that they've never won this trophy; such a brilliant history in the game at the club level. My hope is that finally winning this will also go some way to helping the Spanish in their own political process.

Next up is Euro 2012 in Ukraine/Poland. Qualifying matches start next month! :D

On reflection, I think it was because of the fans and the host nation. South Africans can be justifiably proud of themselves for doing such an incredible job when there was so much doubt prior to the tournament. The nation as a whole seemed to be thrilled with the event.

Well said Peter.

I am veeeeery impressed by the performance of the japanese u20 ladies. if it wasn't for the very good mexican goal keeper it would be 4:1 by now!

The Spanish are masters at zone playing, all their team constantly participates in the game and most passes are passed on with a single touch to the ball, there's always one player that can be reached easily. A very accomplished way of playing that requires a lot of tactical insight from each player.

The only way to stop the Spanish from winning was to disturb their very capable zone playing. In Dutch, thius means coming in just a tad too rough and scoring a deck of cards. Had they managed to stop the Spanish from playing their game in a sportive way, I would have been sad for losing. Now, it was justice done.

Robin van Persie was the biggest Dutch sport in the field: after the Spanish goalie kicked the ball out to allow a team member to be treated, Sneijder kicked it back to the goalie but nearly scored a goal, goalie touched the ball on the way out.
Robin van Persie used the resulting corner to return the ball to the Spanish goalie. Bravo! Most other Dutch players apparently tried to seed the Spanish by plowing them under...

No comments on Webb, he could have (should have!) sent De Jong off after that kick to the Spanish players chest.

Spain have won and justice has been done. Congrats, we'll take that cup off you in 2014 :cool:

Agree.

The Netherlands is still One of The Very Best Football Nations in the world by accomplishing to get to the finals, God knows how many times. No small achievement.

Bravo!

Back