The Pany GX's

kshapero

South Florida Man
Local time
9:27 PM
Recently I had a Leica M260. A delightful rig if I ever saw one, but I could never get the Jpegs to my liking. Funny I never had this problem with the M9. So the question I had was to go back to the M9 or save up for the M10 series? in the mean time, I picked up the Pany GX9 and a used GX8. Included was the kit 12-60 (24-120), a Pany/Leica 15/1.7 and a 42.5/1.7 lenses. Working out to an odd 30mm (but very workable) and an 85mm. I keep saying that they are a stop gap until I get an M10, but the rendering of the images and the ergonomics of the setups are growing on me.

49186711573_565d916c4a_c.jpg

It would be a beautiful thing if this could be enough for you saving you from spending crazy money on a Leica M10. Sometimes using cheaper gear is liberating too.

I'm a m4/3 convert, with a GX-85, GX-8, Pen-F, GH-4. Great small cameras and some fantastic glass choices. Both lenses you have are really nice IMHO, I also like the Pan/Leica 8-18mm, Panny 12-35mm f2.8, Pan/Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4, Pan/Leica 45mm f2.8 macro, Panny 35-100 f2.8.

Shot a commercial job for a pharmaceutical company three weeks ago, they wanted both stills and short video clips. I did the entire job with m4/3 cameras, (and a lot of lights), client was thrilled.

I have my eye on the Pan/Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4 Ver 2. Waiting for a good used one to show up on the market.

I just picked up a used GX85 for a steal, locally. I got it at first to use with my big collection of C mount lenses I have. This is seriously one of the nicest digital cameras I've ever used, and I have to say that I was very wrong about judging the M4/3 format as lesser that other non-full-frame digital offerings. Now I'm searching for a really nice 25mm lens. Currently the camera has a pre-WWII 1" f/1.8 Cooke Kinic on and that lens is spectacular, but the original 4:3 ratio 16mm image circle of most older C mount lenses 25mm and shorter causes vignetting. For motion work, these lenses are amazing on the GX85 but in stills they can give a hard vignette. Overall, I'm so impressed with this camera and this system that I am apologizing for what I have thought of the M4/3 system prior. Wow.
Phil Forrest

You sound pretty happy Phil!

I think you are correct that many don’t even consider the m4/3 cameras as an option, but the bang for the buck is fantastic in IMHO.

Try handling a GH4 or GH5 sometime, I think it might be among the very best of camera ergonomics.

The lens choices are great, and the image stabilization is superb. And 4K video from the the Panasonic cameras is stunning.

I'm a m4/3 convert, with a GX-85, GX-8, Pen-F, GH-4. Great small cameras and some fantastic glass choices. Both lenses you have are really nice IMHO, I also like the Pan/Leica 8-18mm, Panny 12-35mm f2.8, Pan/Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4, Pan/Leica 45mm f2.8 macro, Panny 35-100 f2.8.

Shot a commercial job for a pharmaceutical company three weeks ago, they wanted both stills and short video clips. I did the entire job with m4/3 cameras, (and a lot of lights), client was thrilled.

I have been working on m4/3 cameras since I left the Fuji ambassador program. The Fuji's were fantastic but they were really falling behind the curve as multimedia platforms at the time. I now run a pair of G9's and some lenses I have had for a long time. The Olympus 12-40 being an almost daily workhorse. The G9(s) is one of the best work cameras I have used to date. Ergonomically about perfect, image/video quality and plain tough as nails.

Fantastic cameras and I have NEVER looked at the work coming out of them and said "I wish I had... "

In 2017, I longed for a GX85, but prices were still high. The GX85 was discontinued in 2018 and I picked one up in the subsequent sales. While it is best with small primes like the Olympus f1.8 and Panasonic f1.7 lenses, it is still manageable with the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8 zooms. The grip is frankly terrible, but far better with the JJC aluminium grip. In the last year it has seen a resurgence in use, and over the weekend I picked up the PanaLeica 9mm f1.7, which makes this the perfect setup for low light shooting in galleries and museums.

Apart from the lovely image quality, other things I love about this camera are the IBIS, the small footprint, simple controls, 4k video, and EVF. Sure, the EVF isn't that big, but it is serviceable, and it works well for sneaking photo in dark concert halls without alerting attendants with a glowing LCD screen. With a 35-100 f2.8 or Olympus 75mm f1.8, the GX85 is able to reach well on to the stage from the back of the auditorium.

I'm tempted to get a secondhand GX9 as a backup/upgrade to the GX85. The GX85 is also likely to be part of the kit next time I travel overseas. In the past, I've traveled with the M9 and Olympus EM5, and the GX85 will be a suitable upgrade.

With the Olympus 17mm f1.8

G9 - Commune by Archiver, on Flickr

G9 - Passing Through II by Archiver, on Flickr

G9 - On Air by Archiver, on Flickr

If I was feeling adventurous, I'd leave the M9 at home and bring the G9 instead, with the GX85 as complementary camera. The G9 would handle larger lenses like the Olympus f1.2 primes and the GX85 would primarily use the PanaLeica 9mm and Olympus 17mm f1.8.

Last edited:
I’m very interested in this thread, particularly in the Lumix GX85. For those of you who purchased this camera, are you still using it happily at the end of 2023?

The reason I’m asking: earlier this year I purchased the Panaleica DG Summilux 15mm f1.7 ASPH lens, and took it to the Balkans with me where I used it extensively on an Olympus Pen F digital body. I was really really pleased with the results from this lens/camera combination (I was shooting large JPEGs), but there are some handling features on the DG Summilux that cannot be used on Olympus m43 bodies. So I’m wondering if the GX85 would be worth picking up (used, obviously) to get the full benefit of the DG Summilux handling features as well as optics. The difference in sensor size between the Pen F and the GX85 is pretty minimal (20MP v. 16MP). For those of you who purchased the GX85, how’s it holding up? Would it be worth looking for a GX9 instead, even though it’s a little larger than the GX85?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations.

I’m very interested in this thread, particularly in the Lumix GX85. For those of you who purchased this camera, are you still using it happily at the end of 2023?

The reason I’m asking: earlier this year I purchased the Panaleica DG Summilux 15mm f1.7 ASPH lens, and took it to the Balkans with me where I used it extensively on an Olympus Pen F digital body. I was really really pleased with the results from this lens/camera combination (I was shooting large JPEGs), but there are some handling features on the DG Summilux that cannot be used on Olympus m43 bodies. So I’m wondering if the GX85 would be worth picking up (used, obviously) to get the full benefit of the DG Summilux handling features as well as optics. The difference in sensor size between the Pen F and the GX85 is pretty minimal (20MP v. 16MP). For those of you who purchased the GX85, how’s it holding up? Would it be worth looking for a GX9 instead, even though it’s a little larger than the GX85?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations.
Hi! I'm still using my GX85 alongside my G9, GM1 and S5. The GX85 is my walkaround camera for when I'm not seriously taking images, but still want a decent camera. The autofocus is fast and accurate, and while the G9 is faster, the GX85 is fine for general use. The JJC aftermarket grip improves the handling of the GX85 no end - factor in this cost if you get a GX85. I wasn't using it that much until I got the grip last year, and now I use it all the time.

Like the Pen F, the stabilization of the GX85 means you can set low ISO and handhold lower light images and get the full benefit of low ISO dynamic range, especially with a wider aperture lens like the 15/1.7. I recently picked up the 9/1.7 and it is fantastic on the GX85.

I've never tried a GX9, but I've seen one in the shops. It doesn't seem that much bigger; the bigger dimensions seem to come from the extended EVF. As for using the GX85 happily at the end of 2023, the answer is yes. I've carried this regularly through 2023 and will continue for the foreseeable future.

I sold all my Nikon gear back in late 2008 and started shooting m4/3. I currently shoot two GX9 bodies and two old GF1 bodies. You will not be disappointed at all with the GX9 camera. The lenses are simply superb, especially at their price point. I saw that you are contemplating getting the Leica 25mm 1.4 lens. I own that lens as well and I also own the Leica 15mm 1.8, which has an aperture ring. Both lenses are outstanding. I currently have 7 lenses for the system, all of them primes except for one zoom. Every bit of my gear fits into an old Domke F2 camera bag with room to spare, and it doesn't break my back if I have to carry all that gear on location. There is no way in hell I could have fitted all of my Nikon gear in one bag like that.

Could someone suggest a good black and white profile for a panasonic gx85 so that the jps look as close as it gets to a print. I like a lot the trix character from the film period. Would a color profile with the camera settings be possible ?

Another GX85 image, this time with the Olympus 25mm f1.8.

Something I really like about micro four thirds is that the lenses tend to have much closer minimum focus distances than their full frame counterparts. This was taken very close to the subjects.

GX85 - Fields of Lilac by Archiver, on Flickr

Could someone suggest a good black and white profile for a panasonic gx85 so that the jps look as close as it gets to a print. I like a lot the trix character from the film period. Would a color profile with the camera settings be possible ?
I think the GX85 has Dynamic Monochrome as one of the creative looks, check out the camera and see.

Back