the RF Culture

Working as a software person. I grow weary of digital. Like vinyl records, film is something special. I like all mechanical rangefinders (M4-P) and my C220 TLR, as they are camera's that have no dependency on much of anything prone to failure or running out. Maybe its the romanticizing of the 'Off the Grid' concept- but isn't really practical. My little outdated fuddy duddy cameras give me a taste of freedom I yearn for, in someplace in my soul. Plus, the images, just rock, I can't explain it, but my Portra 160NC negs. always make me smile, and pause and examine each one, whereas I zip through my digital RAW files, without much emotion, looking for a keeper.

In Japan film shooters are increasing relatively. I bet this will spread to the entire world once every photogs will get tired of digital rendering! Let's say in about 10 or 15 years film will be back!

edodo, the only way film will "be back" is if Walmart puts film processors back into their stores and sells new film cameras again. Who makes consumer P&S film cameras anymore? Film's trajectory is hardly in question.

6/10

I've always loved things that are good (IMO) industrial designs. Another Land Rover driver/owner, have several, the newest being 1974MY. Have not thrown out the vinyl yet, and do listen to classical music, choral/vocal stuff especially - Requiems don't get me down, they lift me up. I like timekeeping pieces, classic cars, classic cameras, historical/fantasy/sci-fi literature, knives, torches (flashlights) and have been known to pick up a guitar and flex the vocal chords. I wear traditional clothing on fine occassions even (kilt - should have ticked off another box).

Working as a software person. I grow weary of digital. Like vinyl records, film is something special.

I can relate to that!

In addition, having grown up in the 80s and 90s, with everything automated and digital I find that I'm really comfortable with, and understand, digital technology. When it comes to mechanical matters it's a different thing entirely - the concept of an entirely mechanical camera seems almost like witchcraft to me and that magic appeals to me.

Nobody is going to make two trips to Walmart just to get a roll of film processed. Too dang far for most of us! The neighborhood Walgreens or CVS? most of them still promote One-Hour service and they all seem to process and print. They seem well stocked with film in both their own house brand, as well as Kodak.

I have an RF Camera
I like John Cage
I ride a bike
I have owned Saab's since 1971
I hate repairing them.
I love Brussels sprouts

I used to own a 1976 Mercedes 450SL. It is gone since one year.
Vintage cars are cool, but repairing them is so uncool.

Very strange poll.

I "like" several of the items mentioned above and several other things in life, too. But I have/collect/frequently buy/study hardly any of them. For me, all of them are actually the same. If I want to buy a camera and I have plenty of time, I'll read up on it, make sure I understand the different types, the better ones of each type and then decide which one to go for. If ever I'd be wanting to buy a vintage car, I'd do the same. But the same is valid for kitchen furniture, washing machines, coats, cigars and hamburgers, to mention just a few. Some of the latter objects are of much more interest to me than the ones mentioned in the poll, but unfortunately, I couldn't select them.

Peter.

Not really into vintage. Never owned a turntable, and no way am ever going to wear vintage clothes. My occupation is developing embedded computers and software, so you'd be hard-pressed to find a Luddite streak in me.

Don't really see how literature and playing instruments relate to the rest, it's not like it's now any more out of fashion than before.

I voted for RF, timepiece, literature and Bauhaus.

Most of my cameras are RFs; I dislike the asthetics of SLRs.
I have a wind up Swiss watch; I don't like quartz watches, especially Japanese ones as they almost killed the Swiss watch industry. Seiko releasing classic looking watches just added insult upon injury.
I like old books. "Around the World in 80 Days" is a good one, for example.
I'm a big fan of Bauhaus design (furniture, type, etc.)
Vintage clothing is nice, but I don't own any (Western antiques are exhorbitant in Japan.)
Sorry, no interest in cars or motorcycles. Steam trains, neither.

Howcome there's nothing about old airplanes? Constellations, Stratocruisers, 707s?

I simply like to use Leica rangefinders... it isn't a status thing to me or a lifestyle thing. It is just the camera that feels most comfortable. I'm a photographer, not a hipster / elitist / throw-back.

I like the feel of Leicas, and other simple all mechanical cameras built to a similar standard (Hasselblad, old folders, late 60's early 70's SLRs etc). they just feel great, confidently solid. I always have used the digital cameras I have owned in Manual mode anyway, I didn't use the Auto or semi-auto modes. Simply because I liked to use my cameras manually. I also prefer focusing with a rangefinder.

I played bass for just over 10 years, but arthritis in my hands made it uncomfortable in the end and I couldn't play at the standard I wanted I used to so I stopped. When I played, I always owned Fender P Basses. one new and one late 70's model. That older bass felt great. not the most versatile of instruments, but it does what it does well and feels like a tank - running through an old tube head cranked to 10 that sound cannot be beat.

When money permits and after we purchase a semi-newish small car for my fiancée I'll be looking to get an older car for me to drive around in. Have seen some beautiful MG's for a decent price lately - I like driving old cars, no fuss (unless they break), and I like to tinker under the hood a little too. Our home has moslty old furinture, my fiancée likes an older aesthetic. I do want to get a bike too, but have made a compromise by getting an old car (she isn't a fan of bikes, has had a few family members on the wrong side of bike crashes). if I could get a bike, it'd be a Triumph Bonneville - the old man rides a Harley and all of his mates ride old bikes.

Grew up in the 1950s with a Perfex 44, an inexpensive Chicago, USA-made rendering of a Leica with a fixed 50mmƒ3.5.

Once I got the money, I picked up a IIIc and a IIIf rd and some lenses, then later on I got into a user M2 & M3s and finally in 1985 brand. spanking new M4-Ps and NEW lenses. These I will use until I have no further use for living.

Well, I dunno, but the way I see it is that if I have a camera, watch, car, etc, etc that works and suits me fine (I wouldn't have bought it otherwise), then it's daft/pointless/expensive to bin it and buy the latest gizmo.

My age means most of my stuff is now vintage and, of course, means that I can recognise things on market stalls and so on that others don't know about or understand. And I do love a bargain. Plus, it's nice not having to cough up £8 or £10 once a year, as my wife does, to have a battery put in a watch.

And I've modern stuff. I need the radio checked electronic clock to reset the wind up or automatic watch from time to time. And digital cameras have their advantages (for selling things on ebay, f'instance). But I'd probably forget how to be a photographer if I went totally digital and end up a snapper.

And I've happily swopped the scratchy old 12 LP's for CD's at a fraction of the cost as they are re-issued as bargains; ditto the VHS cassettes and DVD's.

And I asked my wife about the machines in the kitchen and utility. Guess what she said? But she still likes an open fire, especially when it's snow outside.

So like most of us I guess I've a foot in each camp.

Regards, David

Yes to three questions: I am Master of Arts in literature, shoot with Fuji GW690 and I play bass. I also love vintage bicycles; I drive a vintage Peugeot from 1980's. Simple hobbies equals simple and easy life.

do you snort snuff?
that is a good one. here in the country, it's always between cheek and gum (not me; it's a nasty habit). 35-45 years ago in tennessee, i'd see older men - and especially women - sniff a tiny pinch. but these folks wolud not have known what a rangefinder camera was ...

Back