The road less travelled by me - XT30

Local time
6:41 PM
So, delighted to bits by the performance of my X100T, but wanting interchangeable lenses, I was incredibly taken by the new(ish) XT30, being small and with staggeringly good autofocus.

I took it out today with a 27mm f2.8 pancake and thought I'd do a comparison with it in Acros emulation (the base, no yellow or red filter) vs real film - Tmax400 developed in FX39, using my Canon EOS650 with 40mm f2.8 pancake - so directly comparable lenses but for depth of field. Most shot wide open.

I found the results really remarkable - with the caveat that I've never liked digital black and white. Given I've developed and scanned one reel vs seconds with the JPEG version, I'm amazed.

artichoke2-1-of-1.jpg

artichoke-1-of-1.jpg

poppy5-1-of-1.jpg

poppy2.5-1-of-1.jpg

Should be easy enough to tell the film type, but with low grain dialled into the XT30 (at the moment I'm still under its control as I'm just not used to having menu after menu.)

Basically, except for wanting to shoot vintage lenses on film or medium/large format, I'm probably going to be using this most of the time. Colour is equally fantastic.

Back