The Sony RX0 as pocket camera

Archiver

Mentor
Local time
3:17 AM
I've had a Sony RX0 since 2018, and it has been a very reliable and surprisingly versatile shooter. It was on sale at a local shop, and I couldn't resist the deal. It was marketed as a mini production video camera for placement in small spaces, or for simultaneous use controlled by an app. The RX0 II had a tilting screen and was marketed for vloggers. But the real surprise came when I found the images to be quite stunning. Boasting a 20mp one inch sensor and a 24mm equivalent f4 lens, the images are very sharp all the way to the corners, with almost no distortion. It can handily shoot up to ISO 6400 and produce acceptable images.

The size of a DSLR battery, the body is solid aluminium, and the lens is protected by a thick glass cover. Because it was designed as a production/crash/action cam, it is extremely robust and waterresistant, although a waterproof housing is available. Ergonomically, it is terrible. It's a block of metal with tiny control buttons and two large buttons for power and shutter. But it is the most used camera I have because of its tiny size, robustness and image quality. The RX0 is always in my pocket no matter where I go, or what other cameras are with me. In a pinch, I can attach it to a hotshoe where it can capture wide angle video while I'm shooting something else.

My favourite pocket cameras were things like the Ricoh GRD III, Panasonic LX7 and Ricoh GR, but they all failed because of the shutter block and lens barrel. The RX0 has no extending lens barrel, and as such, is a self-contained hardy wonder. It has replaced the Ricoh GR as my everyday pocket camera, which gives some indication of how much I like the RX0.

I nearly lost it once, and thought it had gone forever. It fell out of my pocket at a McDonalds, and I was utterly despondent until I contacted the McDonalds and learned that they had found it. Now I am extra careful to keep it secure.

A few images:

RX0 - Shadows of Security by Archiver, on Flickr

RX0 - The Path Ahead by Archiver, on Flickr

RX0 - Sunset over Altona by Archiver, on Flickr

The RX0 is a cool little camera with interesting possibilities. I have two shooting panoramics.. I've made 3 different multi-camera panoramic combos and the RX0 based setup is my favorite. This is my proof of concept version.

53478561518_62a6b1ea36_b.jpg

53478561503_da811bd812_b.jpg

The cameras are set to hyperfocal and since there is no aperture they only adjust shutter or ISO automatically for the scene. Cameras are set to 16:9 but shoot raw (for full 3:2) but the 16:9 AR gives a closer approximation about what the blend will give me.Cameras are charged/powered by the USB battery pack and the cameras together fire with the red switch.

The resulting look is closer to a sweep lens panoramic camera compared to a very wide lens (to get same horizontal FOV) as you don't have nearly as much perspective distortion on the sides.

52283622260_eef7476bce_b.jpg

If I find a deal on another RX0 I'm going to go with a 3 camera setup with the cameras shooting portrait. I like the width I get with 2 but sometimes the vertical feels a little constrained. I'll also redo the wiring so that the cameras can be turned on/off with a single switch and change the trigger to a two stage switch.

The RX0 is a cool little camera with interesting possibilities. I have two shooting panoramics.. I've made 3 different multi-camera panoramic combos and the RX0 based setup is my favorite. This is my proof of concept version.

The cameras are set to hyperfocal and since there is no aperture they only adjust shutter or ISO automatically for the scene. Cameras are set to 16:9 but shoot raw (for full 3:2) but the 16:9 AR gives a closer approximation about what the blend will give me.Cameras are charged/powered by the USB battery pack and the cameras together fire with the red switch.

The resulting look is closer to a sweep lens panoramic camera compared to a very wide lens (to get same horizontal FOV) as you don't have nearly as much perspective distortion on the sides.

If I find a deal on another RX0 I'm going to go with a 3 camera setup with the cameras shooting portrait. I like the width I get with 2 but sometimes the vertical feels a little constrained. I'll also redo the wiring so that the cameras can be turned on/off with a single switch and change the trigger to a two stage switch.
have you much experience with the RX0 II?

None at all with the RX0 II. Just from reading I think it added the tilt screen, some video specific functions, maybe more multi-cam control functions and some other tweaks.

Your various camera creations are awesome.

Marty

curious how the shutter is synced between the two.
I don't know the setup that @shawn uses, but I assume it uses the RX0 USB port which can be used to trigger the shutter. Sony used to sell a RX0 kit with a folding tripod grip which triggered the shutter via USB. The RX0 can also be connected to a Sony A7 variant which triggers the RX0 when you press the A7's trigger.

curious how the shutter is synced between the two.
Through the Sony multi-port connector on each camera. It can also turn them on/off remotely but I hadn't wired that part yet. If you wire the two through the multi-port connector firing one camera will also fire the other without an external switch. Without diodes isolating the cameras when you turn off one camera the other will take a shot too as that pin goes to ground. That is also how I power them with the USB power bank so no need to worry about swapping batteries in the cameras.

Through the Sony multi-port connector on each camera. It can also turn them on/off remotely but I hadn't wired that part yet. If you wire the two through the multi-port connector firing one camera will also fire the other without an external switch. Without diodes isolating the cameras when you turn off one camera the other will take a shot too as that pin goes to ground. That is also how I power them with the USB power bank so no need to worry about swapping batteries in the cameras.
Ahh, so it's by the multi-port connector, not the USB. Good to know.

This is a really ingenious way to take panoramic shots, and the results speak for themselves.

Back