The Street

In the last 2 years I’ve reconnected with my love of nature photography; call it landscape if you like. I dusted off the old tripods, cleaned and polished my hiking boots, I actually got serious about doing the landscape thing well. A funny thing happened on the way to becoming a better nature photographer… The things I learned also helped to improve my street photography.

I’ve always been a stickler about level horizons and perpendiculars, but landscape really opened my eyes to the importance of subject separation. Foregrounds and backgrounds not conflicting with each other. Good subject isolation. Avoiding unnecessary confusion by having too much stuff inside the frame. *There’s probably better technical terms for saying what I’m trying to say but I only know the words I know.

Anyway, I’m finding that (for me) the things that make a good composition for a landscape photograph can also apply to a street photograph.

I guess in the end it’s all just photography; good content, thoughtful composition, a compelling message/story… and with any luck, something that is interesting to look at.

All the best,
Mike

Back