The True Weight of the Leica M4's

TessarT*

Local time
5:00 AM
I recently started looking for another M body to compliment my M6 and decided to look into the specs of the other M's to see if any of them were smaller/lighter than the others.

Although all the M's seem to be quite similar is size and weight the M4 line has a few standouts.

The M4 is reportedly the smallest M and also second lightest at 545g

The M4-2 is a few mm larger than the original M4 but lighter at 525g

The M4-P is the fattest and heaviest "4" at 545g

However these numbers seem to be contested between L-Forum, Erwin Puts, Ken Rockwell, Wikipedia, lavidaleica....etc.....

All three M4's are also reported to be closer to the M6's weight of 600g and size measurements also vary.

I'm not usually one to nitpick but it just got me curious. Is there anyone out there with these cameras and a desk scale that can confirm the weights?

Good luck on following your obsession ( we all have them). But in the final analysis: What it is, is what it is. Ciao

Leicas are professional cameras designed to power through all sorts of environmental situations. plastic cameras are much lighter.

My M4 weighs in at 580gm without film (but including plastic body cap).

My M6 TTL is 586gm. M9-P is 607gm with battery and card. As we say in the colonies - there's bugger-all difference between them.

Only one solution: buy one and weigh it!

I dont mind the small size and weight addition of the M5, especially after shooting Nikon all day.

Thanks Chris for the info. Like kshapero said we all have our curious little obsessions.

if anyone has any info on the M4-2 feel free to add it, it was the other model I was most curious about.

Thanks Chris for the info. Like kshapero said we all have our curious little obsessions.

if anyone has any info on the M4-2 feel free to add it, it was the other model I was most curious about.

I don't believe the M4 is any less than 580g, and certainly not lighter than an M4-2. I would also be surprised by the size differences you mention.

If you want lightest and smallest M.... look no further than Leica CL. Build quality isn't all metal like "regular" M's but it does the same job as them with lighter and smaller form factor.

oh and just for fun I weighed my decked out M4-2 with M grip, viewfinder mag, thumbs up and soft release with domke strap and it's 676 grams.

M4-P, black chrome, "nude" (no body cap) approx 530g. Body cap (proper metal-backed one, not all plastic) approx 15g, for total of 545g. I doubt I'm more than 1 or 2 g out but I can't be bothered to get out my 2g and 1g chemical weights.

Cheers,

R.

My M4-P weighs at 564 grams.

I couldn't care less, but if this contributes to this thread, there you go :)

My M4-P weighs at 564 grams.

I couldn't care less, but if this contributes to this thread, there you go :)
Well, over an ounce of difference between yours and mine is quite strange. Where does the weight go? Or come from? It's not a question that would have occurred to me but now it's been raised it's quite intriguing, in a trivial sort of way.

Cheers,

R.

Well, over an ounce of difference between yours and mine is quite strange. Where does the weight go? Or come from? It's not a question that would have occurred to me but now it's been raised it's quite intriguing, in a trivial sort of way.

Cheers,

R.

Maybe a roll of film?

I really don't see how that little difference could matter in the long run. I think I would be more concerned with how smooth the action is. My M4 is slightly smoother than my M6. I also prefer the M4s viewfinder. Weight would be my least concern.

Back