The View From High Places

1992 Great Sand Dunes No 4 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Those are the beginnings of the Sandre De Christo Mountains in the background. By the time I got back to the parking lot, I was exhausted. No sign of my Assistant Charlie who had the car keys. A nice Guy from Santa Fe (50 miles south) gave me a ride back to our campsite, he had an Uber+ Motor Home. Told me he owned one of the top restaurants in Santa Fe. Had an over the top Linhof 4x5 Technikardon I remember. We laughed when he said to me "You B&W Guys always use wooden tripods". What a fantastic evening.

4x5 Sinar Norma 90mm f8 Norma Super Angulon HP5 d76 1:1. 8x10 fibre print Fortezo Dektol 1:2 Omega Dii Omegalite 180mm black Rodagon.

"Speaking of Singapore, did you ride the Mount Faber Line Cable Car? We rode it from the Harbor Front Center to Sentosa Island." I've been on the same gondola. Cheap thrills are not my thing either, and that goes for, both the gondola, and Sentosa Island. Unfortunately, similar 'entertainment parks' are now popping up all over Vietnam. Cheers, OtL

I took this picture from a rooftop in Saigon in 2013 and since then, the landscape has changed dramatically: the green area is now being developed at breakneck speed with direct foreign investment pouring in. Fuji X-Pro1 - XF 2.8/14.

Saigon, 2006. The billboards are long gone but the mid-19th Century church behind them remains and many new luxury apartment buildings are mushrooming on the riverbank. Canon 30D - L 2.8/24-70.

The Marble Mountains, South of Da Nang. During the war, the Americans were on top, while, unknown to them, the Vietcong had established bases underneath. The original Fuji X100.

The Rhone, Quai Turrettini & Quai des Moulins, Geneva. Next to the Mandarin Oriental is the Leica Boutique where I should have bought the 262 but did not. The M-E's sensor fell apart in Saigon a year, or so later and served as a paper weight until I traded it for an SL2-S. Leica M-E - Zeiss Biogon 2.8/28.

Back