The Zeiss Batis

fuwen

Well-known
Local time
4:42 AM
After using Zeiss Otus, it will be very hard for you to consider using other lenses even Zeiss. The best in quality you can get. However, weight sometimes can be an issues and I am glad that I have found my solutions: The light weight and autofocus Zeiss Batis series of lenses. Not being a fan of 35mm and 85m focal length, I collected the Batis 18/2.8 Distagon, 25/2 Distagon, 40/2 CF Distagon, and 135/2.8 Apo Sonnar. All of them are of very good quality, able to autofocus on Sony A7, and best they are not very heavy to carry around. Some people will complaint that the Batis are too big in size but that is not an issue for me. 40/2 is close to 35mm, but I still consider this one because it can be used as the only lens if I were to go out with just one lens (my ZM 35/2 can also do the job but it is manual focus and no EXIF data). Also the 40/2 CF has close focusing capability probably around 1:3 so a good candidate for occasional macro use.

batisset_500.jpeg

The size freaked me out at first. Since my first Olympus OM camera in 1975, and continuing through my switch to digital with the Epson RD1, I’ve really only used more compact systems. After getting my Sony A7S II in 2017, I’ve mostly used converted M-mount or LTM lenses on it, with the exception of the Zeiss-Sony 35mm F2.8. For wider,, which for me was nothing wider than 28mm, I would switch to my Ricoh GR. But when a musician friend offered me a deal I could not refuse on his Batis 25mm, I went for it. As I said, the size initially put me off, and continues to be a factor when I have to decide which lenses to take. But the quality is really good. The anomaly of the A7S II is that while it allows me to shoot in very low light at higher shutter speeds or more depth of field than I had been able to do before, it’s autofocusing in such conditions can be pretty dismal. Since with the Ricoh I used snap-focusing a lot, I do do a fair bit of zone focus guesstimating. The Batis has an illuminated focus distance window on the lens when you use manual focusing, which I use a lot. My main disappointment is that since it is a focus by wire lens, and since I fidget a lot, I need to be careful not to change the distance accidentally. Here are a few at fairly high ISOs, 2 from clubs and one in a train.
Via Rail by sevres babylone, on Flickr
Bad Waitress by sevres babylone, on Flickr
Chucrobillyman in Toronto by sevres babylone, on Flickr

Back