Theft

Bill Pierce

Well-known
Local time
7:00 AM
Photographers have always been the victims of theft. While professionals who routinely travel with a lot of gear are the most frequent victims (I’ve had gear stolen three times), theft seems to be increasing and hitting everyone. Most photo equipment can be resold easily.

A long time ago I lived in a small town where the head of one of two local gangs would show the established town photographer stolen gear. If it had been stolen from a professional, that pro could buy it back at $10 a camera. If it was stolen from someone who did not make their living from photography, it was not returnable. These days I think all gear has entered the non returnable catagory as theft becomes more prevalent. That makes this link important. What do you think?

https://www.change.org/p/secure-our-camera-gear-stop-camera-robbery

Interesting but until the camera manufacturers do this I say we engrave our SS# or Drivers License numbers on all our gear...

When I saw Bill’s thread topic, I automatically was thinking of copyright theft or infringement. I guess that’s a whole different issue. I’m fortunate to never have been a victim of camera theft.

Interesting but until the
camera manufacturers do this I say we engrave our SS# or Drivers License numbers on all our gear...

Rather than marking equipment, (I would never buy used equipment marked as such), I’m wondering if camera manufacturers can discreetly embed an RFID chip which will hold the owners data and is updatable upon resale if that ever occurs.

However, this opens up other issues like ID theft, location tracking, and other things I can’t even think about.

I read thru the link you posted Bill, I'm not a fan of what they propose. I think it complicates equipment that I'd like made less complicated. I'm slowing down at this point in my photo making, and have no plans on buying any new equipment in the foreseeable future, so it really doesn't apply to me. If they're talking about old film rangefinders, and first generation SLR's, then maybe it would effect me, but that's not the case.

I feel for anyone who has had their camera gear stolen. It would really suck. But I'm not in favor the the security protocols they are proposing.

Best,
-Tim

Sounds like the proposed measures they want would make resale very hard as well. Now, are they really saying 5,000 people make up the "photography community"? And, what is this.... "Make no mistake, this is a highly lucrative business opportunity. Our community will line up in droves to purchase cameras with anti-theft technology. Will your company be the first to take advantage of it?" Wow, hyperbole at its best.

I wouldn’t object if cameras had a lock code, fingerprint or facial recognition feature, as long as the lock feature could be customized and turned off when not needed.

Twice I have been a photo theft victim at my photo workplaces. Both times all of the gear was recovered by quickly faxing every nearby pawnshop with descriptions, photos and serial numbers of the gear.

Both times the thieves were arrested (the gear was unusual and very expensive). The thieves actually used their real ID cards at the pawnshop.

And both times the thieves were.. drum roll.. our building security guards.

Clearly this proposal is only for new cameras, which unlike cars and phones, is an ever-shrinking market and a small percentage of the total supply.

It wouldn’t be difficult to add these anti-theft features, but this will help relatively few overall.

Back