Things to do in London

David Hughes

David Hughes
Local time
2:13 PM
The title says it all but I'll add that I was looking for something else and found this:-

www.yha.org.uk/area-guides/london

So I thought I'd put it here as it's not quite the usual guide to all the touristy spots. And I would have added "The George" in Southwark but there you are... There's a few other guides available from this page and the link is at the top of the page.

Regards, David

Funny thing—I was just doing a trial packing of some minimal luggage for a short trip to London in a few days. I've got a couple of destinations in mind, but certainly up for suggestions (when not hob-nobbing at the Royal Thames Yacht Club!)

The title says it all but I'll add that I was looking for something else and found this:-

www.yha.org.uk/area-guides/london

So I thought I'd put it here as it's not quite the usual guide to all the touristy spots. And I would have added "The George" in Southwark but there you are... There's a few other guides available from this page and the link is at the top of the page.

Regards, David

Nice! Thanks for posting.

as a Londoner being a tourist I would do:

Greenwich

Borough market

Soho

Walk on the South Bank

Sports event (regular football/rugby/cricket and tennis in summer and many other sports)

View from one of Hampstead Heath, Richmond Park, Alexandra Palace, Greenwich Park

Brick Lane for curry

Historic Walking tour - choose your neighbourhood

British Museum and area

Highgate cemetery

Tate/National/Portrait galleries

Westminster Abbey

Cabinet War rooms

Houses of Parliament if you can get a tour

If you like planes - RAF Museum

Royal Institution (Faraday's laboratory)

Agreed with Zuikologist.

A few additions, a walk through Carnaby Street. Then head to Antidote afterwards, a lovely French wine bar at 12A Newburgh St.

When in Soho, head to Soho Square, foot of Frith St. Then tapas at Barrafina, 26 Dean St, just around the corner.

In Greenwich go to the observatory, and stand in two different time zones. :)
You can take the ferry up the Thames from the Borough market on Southbank.
If you like tacos, El Pastor at the market is brilliant!

If you feel like a 20 minute train ride, St Albans is a lovely town. Nice place to walk and lots to see, nice pubs as well.

cheers/k.

I don't know Antidote - some work to do over the weekend :)

Agreed with Zuikologist.

A few additions, a walk through Carnaby Street. Then head to Antidote afterwards, a lovely French wine bar at 12A Newburgh St.

When in Soho, head to Soho Square, foot of Frith St. Then tapas at Barrafina, 26 Dean St, just around the corner.

In Greenwich go to the observatory, and stand in two different time zones. :)
You can take the ferry up the Thames from the Borough market on Southbank.
If you like tacos, El Pastor at the market is brilliant!

cheers/k.

Another "Agreed with Zuikologist" and add Kew Gardens to the list.

Having worked almost all my working life in The City I dislike going back - nearly 30 years later - because of the mess they've made of it. Especially the view from Fleet St to St Paul's.

And that reminds me, Dr Johnson's house and The Cheshire Cheese and Sir John Soane's house/museum should be on the list.

Regards, David

Back