Think Again

Spavinaw

Well-known
Local time
7:56 PM
What I hold in my hand is engraved "CANON LENS 85mm f:1.5". So I have a nice Canon 85mm f:1.5 lens in my hand? Noooo. I have a Canon orange(RO-3X) filter with 58mm threads. Interesting.
I am now holding a Kenko orange filter that has "phi (Greek letter) 45.4" engraved on the rim. Where in the world do I get a lens with 45.4mm filter threads? I don't need one. It fits my 43mm threaded lenses. It's the overall rim diameter that is 45.4mm, not the threads. I also have two Kodak filters engraved "32" and two more engraved "60". You guessed it this time. That's the overall rim diameters, not the threads. The threads are 29.5mm and 58mm diameters.

I also have lots and lots of remote controls and other things that have an arrow head on the lid showing the direction to slide it open. Very helpful, but I also have two items where the arrow shows the direction to slide it closed. Really? I think that is pretty obvious, or at least it is to me. Crazy!

Years ago I mentioned that on a Vivitar teleconverter the f-stop series had f45 followed by f65. Every body knows it should be f64. Anotheer unsolved mystery. Has qnyone else run across "weird" stuff like this?

The filter diameters, at least with Kodak, were due to the fact that slip on filters (fitting over the OD of lens) were common.

The arrow head I like (and I run into on a number of cameras) show the arrow head on both ends of the curve to remove a battery cover. Ones to open, ones to close - but which way!

It seems stupid to indicate which way to close a battery cover, because usually a person has just opened it to insert batteries.

Rather, the situation 99.999999% of the time is that the battery cover is closed. Then, when you need to open it, the arrow should indicate the direction.

I have plenty of filters that I don't understand. I think I have 3 or 4 red filters which are meaningless as I hold the filter to the light you can see they are all different. Filters??

Back