Thinking of Selling the W-Nikkor 35 1.8 From the 05 SP - Stupid?

NewSchoolAlum

Local time
7:27 PM
I've got an 05 SP with the accompanying 35mm 1.8. Beautiful lens, of course, I've actually had one in LTM for some time. But I use the SP i.e. it's not a collectable and would be happy with the 5 cm Nikkor I already have and maybe buy a VC S-Skopar 35 2.5 for my wide angle. I'm assuming the W-Nikkor would fetch good coin given you rarely see them for sale without the SP, but then again I'd be breaking up a collectable unit and would be, I assume, devaluing the SP. Maybe not. I assume to W-Nikkor could fetch +/- $2000.

What say you?

You also kill the value of the SP if you sell the 35/1.8.

If you owned a LTM version of the 35/1.8 selling that one was also a mistake. Kinda rare the LTM version and perhaps only 1500 or 1700 were made.

I own a LTM Nikkor 35/1.8. What is not to love? Works great on a Leica Monochome. Like I said that was a mistake to sell.

Anyways I think selling the lens would be a double loss: one for the lens; and secondly on the value of the 2005 SP.

Pretty much two paths to a loss and then remorse.

Cal

Don't do it - that would hurt the value of both the lens and the body.

Worse, that lens might only bring $1500 at the moment.

Stephen

Thanks for the clarification.

NSA,

Avoid remorse.

BTW the new 35/1.8 is coveted. I love mine in LTM.

At one point I owned two LTM versions. B&H had one misprinted that I had to buy.

I ended trading the second Nikkor 35/1.8 in LTM for a hammer tone repainted M4.

Cal

I have the Nikkor 35/1.8 in Leica LTM. I love using this lens. It does especially well with Fuji Reala film for pastel looking colors. The same lens is in Nikon mount, and I expect it to perform accordingly.

I have the Nikkor 35/1.8 in Leica LTM. I love using this lens. It does especially well with Fuji Reala film for pastel looking colors. The same lens is in Nikon mount, and I expect it to perform accordingly.

Raid,

A pretty rare lens in LTM.

My MM loves this lens.

Cal

When I think about all the cameras and lenses I have owned at one time and sold (mostly at less than I paid) I feel a bit funny. It never really got me anywhere good. I suppose it taught me a lot about cameras over almost 50 years, but... I even have found myself purchasing and selling and purchasing the same model camera a few times. So, keep it and use it till the SP gets brassy and as a result even more rare as a result.

Hi Cal,
I have a few hard to find lenses, including this Nikkor 35mm/1.8 ltm.
How many 35mm 1.8 ltm lenses were made?

Raid,

By one count I heard 1700, and by another 1500.

They don’t become available often, and I think for good reason.

This is an analog lens that shoots well on a digital like my Leica Monochrom.

At F1.8 it displays veiling flare, and it renders with a wonderful contrast.

There have been threads comparing the reissue Nikkor 35/1.8 with the old versions. The difference is updated coatings.

The 35/1.8 from the 2005 SP is a prize of sorts.

If I did not have my 35/1.8 in LTM certainly I would buy a 2005 kit to have the 35/1.8. It is a magic kind of lens for me.

Cal

If you do not like it, and do not use it- sell it. BUT... Value will most likely increase. The price on LTM version has skyrocketed. The 3.5cm F2.5 is just as good, but a full stop slower. The Nikon S-Mount version used to go for under $500. Mine was. Now look at it.

The 3.5cm F1.8 has achieved Cult status. The Canon 35/1.5 and 85/1.5 have also achieved cult status.

If you do not like it, and do not use it- sell it. BUT... Value will most likely increase. The price on LTM version has skyrocketed. The 3.5cm F2.5 is just as good, but a full stop slower. The Nikon S-Mount version used to go for under $500. Mine was. Now look at it.

The 3.5cm F1.8 has achieved Cult status. The Canon 35/1.5 and 85/1.5 have also achieved cult status.

Brian,

As usual, great info.

Cal

Back