Third party batteries

R33fly

Local time
3:41 AM
Hello all!

I'll finally be getting a hold of an R-D1 soon, but being an older camera, I'm a bit worried about the battery that it'll come with. Which brand of third party batteries can you guys vouch for?

I only buy OEM batteries. There are too many report of swollen aftermarket batteries that get stuck in the camera, or even burning and exploding batteries!

I've had good luck with third party batteries. They have shorter lifespans than OEM batteries, in my experience, but they cost considerably less.

I did have a couple of Wasabi brand Fuji equivalent batteries show some very mild swelling after over two years of regular use. But they never stuck in the camera. When I noticed they were beginning to swell, I just tossed them out and bought new ones.

Never had a problem with generic batteries when I owned my Rd1s.

Man I wish I still had a RD1!

For me, the NP80 type lithium batteries are the most frustrating aspect of using the R-D1. In temperate conditions they typically last two or three hours, in which time I might make 30-60 exposures with infrequent use of the LCD and camera sleep delay set at just a few minutes. In winter temperatures, the charge might last for as little as a half-hour. In any case, I carry three extra batteries at all times.

I have about 8 cells altogether and rotate them so they get equal use and charging. I've tried several different brands, ranging from 1300-1800mh and their discharge characteristics vary widely. The capacity marked on the batteries seems to have little bearing on actual performance.

I've had best results with NP80 cells from this source... https://dantona.com/ulnp80

Back