This is street photography?

The only objection that I have is that that everyday freak show of banalities as popularized by Martin Parr is beginning to get old.

I think William Eggleston did it before him... but I like that type of work and don't find it banal. I can understand why people would though.

Gustavo Minas (#2) is a really good photographer who consistently produces good material, IMO, at least things that I feel interested in looking at. Unlike the others on that list who leave me completely indifferent, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding this fine art-ish modern conception of "street photography"

Yeah, I follow his flickr stream closely. Gustavo produces a consistent flow of really superb work.

Honestly, I just didn't get it. That may be a reflection on me more than on the winner's work.

My personal take is the two runner ups had more interesting, compelling work but then again I'm not a judge. They had their own opinions and it is what it is. I'm happy there's competitions to work towards and motivate us all.

street photography doesnt need to be taken on the street. Elliot Erwitt had a whole thing on beaches years ago. Krom's full entry all have people in it and they are well framed, bizarre shots. i remember seeing the 4th shot around before too.. great moment captured.

gustavo's shots are pretty good but it kind of reminds me of something alex webb would have shot. not bad but nothing creative imo. david has some great shots but there are a couple in his submission that i just dont get.

I think it's their contest and they can claim whomever they'd like as the winner. But no, in my opinion I don't think a lot of what they're classifying as the winning photos meets the definition nor the aesthetic of Street Photography.

Like I said, we all have our own nuanced definitions for words. I'm sure swoop was referring to his, rather than "the" definition which doesn't exist.

I like second prize shot, the first one doesn't do anything for me, although still an interesting shot. naked man surrounded by plants, factories in the background, very deep but just not my style.

Well, most of us older farts like, what I am calling now... "Classic Street Photography" HCB and the like....many modern SP's also can fit here.

There is a "New Style" emerging over the last 10 or so years, and does not have much in common with the old traditional styles... this is less "art" and more documentary IMO...It may or may not have an emotional connection in the composition. It is easier to have more keepers also. Since IMO, it is just above a Snapshot, but not quite Classic Street Photography in my terms.

And perhaps if we look these as more Street Documentary, we will see a different meaning?...

The winner of the International Street Photography contest sponsored by Fotura has just been announced. Results can be seen here:

http://fotoura.com/competitions/int..._to_mail_lists_1_212_21_2012&utm_medium=email

I saw very few shots that I would classify as "street," and the winning photo, a distant shot of a nude man on sand dunes, strikes me as an amateurish snapshot, almost a joke.

Maybe I need to rethink the definition of "street" photography. What do you think?

HFL

Wow! I agree. Those are poor examples of street shooting.

Russ

I find the winner's picture boring, with rather weak technical parameters and not so pleasant composition too - a snapshot really with washed out colors :eek:
That said I see how little I know about the "new" street photography :D

Congratulation to the winner.

Regards,

Boris

I like second prize shot, the first one doesn't do anything for me, although still an interesting shot. naked man surrounded by plants, factories in the background, very deep but just not my style.

The 2nd place entry is a classic triangular composition with the boy on the left side of the frame forming one side of the triangle and that beautiful implied diagonal line that runs from the reflection to the lady smoking to his eyes. THe heavy line created by him at the edge of the frame keeps the eye from leaving thus forming the left side of the triangle and the curved words on the bottom of the tee forming a line that leads back to the woman in the reflection. Nicely seen and captured I'd say.

I find the winner's picture boring, with rather weak technical parameters and not so pleasant composition too - a snapshot really with washed out colors :eek:
That said I see how little I know about the "new" street photography :D

Congratulation to the winner.

Regards,

Boris

A good photograph is a good photograph old, new the same language and elements that made up a good image 30 years ago are still the same things that make up a good image now. There is good work still being produced and I to do not like the label street but have been guilty of using it...

A good photograph is a good photograph old, new the same language and elements that made up a good image 30 years ago are still the same things that make up a good image now. There is good work still being produced and I to do not like the label street but have been guilty of using it...

Forget the "street" photography label. Maybe you could put your thoughts on what possibly have made this particular photograph a winner then? Just curious cause I don't get it :)

Regards,

Boris

IMHO, all one has to do is go through the gallery here at RFF and pick much better photos than I saw on the link. Call it what you willl, it doesn't matter if the images are...not so good. YMMV...but that is how I see it.:)

Forget the "street" photography label. Maybe you could put your thoughts on what possibly have made this particular photograph a winner then? Just curious cause I don't get it :)

Regards,

Boris

I didn't care much for the winning photo. Thought #2 was much stronger. See post #35 for my thoughts on the second place image.

I think just photography. I think its the left brained world that needs the labels. I don't go out and say I'm going to make ________ photographs today. I just go out and take photographs the way I am seeing at that moment in time.

If ya need the label urban is better that street.

BTW, airfrogusmc - I loved that poster you posted a bit back in this thread. Great lead image, it looks like a fun show and I wish I could take it in.

I'm not going to trash talk the winner - I hope what I post here is not any different than what I'd say verbally, even with the person in question in the room. I think the 1st place photos were a bit, err...artier than what I expected. They'd be perfectly in place, IMHO, in an exhibition, fine-art setting...for something as exciting, reasonably well-defined and evolving a category as 'street', well -- I don't think it's as much of a fit.

There was one entry, that didn't make it into the runner ups, but I believe it was a finalist -- I'd have to go back and check on the name, so forgive me for speaking off the top of my head -- but it was startlingly original and super eye-catching. They were colour images taken (seemingly) with a fisheye from the vantage point of a cab in chaotic India.
They were, well, weird frankly but not like any other entry I'd seen. I was really blown away by them, and yet it never cracked the top 3. So, as I said -- shows you how much **I** know.

Back