Those with meterless rangefinders: how do you set your exposure?

Those with meterless rangefinders: how do you set your exposure?

• I spot meter everything. Usually twice.

Votes: 34 3.7%
  • I use a handheld incident meter with every shot.

Votes: 135 14.7%
  • I only meter when I think the light has changed.

Votes: 390 42.4%
  • I use the sunny 16 rule almost exclusively.

Votes: 211 22.9%
  • I use an EV chart.

Votes: 43 4.7%
  • I have been shooting long enough that it is intuitive for me.

Votes: 107 11.6%

• Total voters

Merkin

For the Weekend
Local time
2:50 PM
The choices above are hopefully rather self-explanatory. If you are interested in sharing your reasons and/or specific methods you use, that would be fantastic. Also, if you do something different from the options I listed, please share with the class ;)

I was just curious about this, as I tend to use different methods for different types of cameras.

I mostly use sunny 16, but also when in lowlight there is this ev chart someone posted here on the forum long ago that is precious... I must track back the post and thanks the author once again!

Lukino- if it is the one I am thinking of, you can find it by googling for 'ultimate exposure computer.'

Hand-held incident light meter is nice for street photography, because I dont have to raise the camera before I am actually taking the photo. It has also given very nice results, maybe even better that I used to get with a meter built in my SLR.

I use mostly sunny 16 and also my hunch. Since I've become pretty lazy lately and develop everything in Rodinal for 60-90 minutes standing, small exposure errors don't have a big impact.

cheers

I usually grab a couple of ballpark meter readings (sun, shade, open shade etc.) for wherever I am. Then adjust by eye as I go.

I might take a more careful reading if the situation is tricky, or I'm spending more time working on a particular subject.

But for general street, grab a few readings and then play it by ear... err... or by eye.

I usually carry a hand held meter but use sunny 16 for most of my exposures. Other times I use a Black Cat exposure guide..

Hand-held incident light meter is nice for street photography, because I dont have to raise the camera before I am actually taking the photo.

This is the very reason I found/find the meter in the Bessa T so good. You can meter without ever lifting the camera to your eye. I wish far more cameras had similar external LED exposure meters; not necessarily as a replacement to a view finder meter but as an addition.

When using a meterless camera, I bring a meter. For just when I think I have a sense of the exposure, I'll miss it big, invariably with slide film. Better for me to look down and say to myself smugly, "I knew that" than to tell myself later "only if...".

Of course, there are people who can smell light values and for whom every exposure is a keeper, but that ain't me.

This is the very reason I found/find the meter in the Bessa T so good. You can meter without ever lifting the camera to your eye. I wish far more cameras had similar external LED exposure meters; not necessarily as a replacement to a view finder meter but as an addition.

I totally agree, I have a Pertri 7s that has just that. Outside and inside meter, perfect for street photography. I know the Selenium cell will die one day but for now nothing better, you can't see on this photo but it is next to the shutter release:

2146391623_0fc2378418.jpg

Last edited:
I stick a meter on it. (my case a VCII)

You don't have that option on your poll?

I sometimes use a handheld meter for incidence if the meters handy and I am in any / some doubt.

tedwin- I admit that it was an oversight to not include accessory meters, but I would probably either consider them the same as a handheld unit, or I would consider the camera to be metered at that point. Do you use your attatched meter for every shot?

Would it be reasonable to assume that the majority of people "guesstimating" - in other words, not using a meter- are referring to B+W film, and not color ?

tedwin- I admit that it was an oversight to not include accessory meters, but I would probably either consider them the same as a handheld unit, or I would consider the camera to be metered at that point. Do you use your attatched meter for every shot?

No. Studio I use a digital camera or a handheld meter. But in a shoulder bag and out and about. Yes 100%.

The problem with Sunny 16 is ... it's only accurate at Sunny 16 day time.

In the morning or evenings, in-doors, in the rain, low light, etc, i.e. the most interesting conditions for me, it's hard. I usually measure every few 5-10 shots or so. Incident if possible. The reflective VCII is great since you can meter un-obtrusively.

Cheers,

Roland.

I have a Gossen Luna Pro and Luna Pro SBC. I try to have one of them with me at all times. Even when using a camera with a built-in meter. I then use either reflective or incident depending on what I am shooting.

It's really a combination of a few of the choices. Sunny 16 when appropriate, combined w/ experience for changing situations.... And when in doubt... I almost always have a meter around. Even if I probably only actually use it once every couple rolls of film. (more often if shooting chromes of course)

I agree... top mounted meter displays are the best! My Rollei 35T has this, and is a huge reason I've never wanted the SE version w/ the LED meter in the viewfinder. (a nice black 35S I'd have to think about though...)

And yes, I do sometimes use the MR-4 meter w/ my M3. Works well, just don't always need to check it.

Outdoors, Sunny 16, in any weather. Indoors, I just use the R4A instead, in aperture priority mode.

I'm getting pretty good at Sunny 16, to the point where I don't really need to make actual calculations in my head anymore. I just look at the sky and change the aperture or shutter speed accordingly. And since I usually use TriX, I've got some room for mistakes.

I've been Sunny-16ing with Ektar 100, too, and it's been going pretty OK.

Last edited:
Back