thoughts on DIY 6x12 pinhole camera

I wouldn't build one myself unless I could improve on what is available. They aren't all that expensive really, especially when you factor in your time. Of course if you just want to do it yourself, then have at it.

I'd avoid the curved plane ones. If you tilt it off level it will distort, unless that is something you want.

I've been using a Holga 120WPC for about a decade now. They are decent cameras and they don't cost that much. I modified mine quite a lot over the years but if I did it all over again I would only change one or two things to get rid of vignetting and call it quits.

In general, I agree with this, but I was looking for something with more a normal view and not wide focal length.

Also, I'd like something with a variable rise and integrated sports finder.

:)

All my pinhole efforts have been digital. I did do some film camera design work inspired by Phil. The wooden camera with a tripod mount was designed around a 6x7 film back. I wanted a quality camera that I could easily modify. I tend to modify most things I build until I get them right - as per my use or discovered uses.

The advantage of using a film back is that you have a wind mechanism with many and a quality dark slide built in. The build cost may go up but, if the camera is a serious device and it's used a lot, it's worth the increase in investment. Lots of camera hardware items, like a tripod mount are easily found on the web.

I've built lots of camera and enlarger mods out of high quality, multi-ply plywood. It's a good building material. The mechanical interfaces are usually brass or aluminum sheet cuts.
http://www.crosscuthardwoods.com/multi-ply.html

I bought a series of very small drills, the biggest being a #80. They are are held in a pin vice on the drill press. you must carefully clean the holes as anything not optically smooth will affect the image quality. I've seen laser cut pinhole camera lenses for sale on the web. I haven't played with any I haven't made yet but, they may be a good option.

edit
Just an afterthought: if I were building a panoramic camera, I would still likely use an RB67 back, as they rotate and can likely be modified to do a 180° rotation. Mask half the frame and you have two pano film spaces per film advance. You can easily make a couple of different mounting plates for the film back depending on your needs.

Just checking prices, the backs are selling from $50-100, and rotating unit around $50 on the auction site.

attachment.php

I have never been satisfied with any of my digital pinhole experiments! For the current project, I was thinking I really wanted a large format panoramic negative, so 6x12 seemed like the best balance of inexpensive and large negative area.

I've had good luck piercing brass shim stock with lots of sanding/steelwooling as I increase the hole size. On 4x5, I got pinhole results that approached near modest optical performance (similar to low-spec Kodak triplets).

Best!

An interesting development! My son came home with a 3-D printer (in a bag of pieces!) that he swears we can get working. He traded some services and this was part of the deal. This would really open up my design options!

Also, more than a pinhole, I was mostly looking for a very modest panoramic camera for a specific project I had in mind. I have a beautiful Kodak Senior Six-16 that I am trying to make functional (bellows shot, shutter sticky). Maybe short term, this will serve the function I was looking for with the panoramic pinhole camera?

Back