Thoughts on the Pentax 645N?

celluloidprop

Well-known
Local time
9:30 AM
I acquired a very nice Rolleiflex a little while back, but I'm finding it overlaps with my trusty Bronica a bit too much. I don't really use it in situations that I can't handhold the Bronica w/ Portra 400, and I'm just more used to the Bronica's handling.

So I'm thinking that I want to look into a metered MF camera, with slightly easier loading.

The GF670 and Mamiya 7 are options, but I'm not sure how I'd like the handling of the GF670 (no room to grip on the right) and there aren't a lot of M7 deals right now.
The GS645S and GA645 are also possibilities - both good, metered Fujis in different ways (I'd probably go GS645S).

But one I'm looking at more is a Pentax 645N kit - affordable lens, the starter kit is a good price from KEH, I've read that mirror-slap is not much of an issue with it, metered and there's even the possibility of AF.

The Pentax 6x7 is also a potential option, but if I'm likely to want a tripod I'd probably just use my Bronica.

The 645N trades some negative size from 6x7, but 645 should still be a nice step up from 35mm in color neg (I'd only be shooting Portra 160/400), right?

I wasn't very impressed with my P645. It operates like an oversized SLR from the -70's. I almost dropped the camera when I shot it for the first time. "KLANG! TZZZZZZ..." Very sharp noise from the mirror and back will frighten all kids and birds around you. It's almost embarrassing.

The Pentax 645 SLRs are relatively compact and light due to the non-modular construction. Easy handling, but for me (not previous used to a folded-path type medium format SLR) it felt long front to back like a movie camera. Indeed the mirror is exceedingly well-damped, and both my 645NII cameras are pretty quiet. Auto focus comes with the use of the FA series lenses.

I actually prefer the handling and ergonomics of the P67 series, as they feel like a scaled-up 35mm SLR. The P67II adds AE, a right-side grip, and better mirror damping. They are not as heavy as they look to be, and need not be used on a tripod. I used to, years ago, but gave it up except where obviously needed no matter the camera. Either big Pentax format is well-suited to hand-held shooting.

In either case, the selection of lenses is astounding (and economical), with several zooms each as well.

645N: Great handling, not too heavy, large and bright viewfinder, good meter, accurate autofocus, fine lenses. Mirror slap is negligible and you get 16 shots per roll of 120 as a little bonus. An admittedly expensive adapter (although I lucked out and got mine from KEH for $45) allows the use of Pentax 67 lenses with full aperture control; the focusing screen is acurate enough that manual focus with 645 and 67 lenses is easy. Film inserts are easy to load and replace. The finder prism has a low profile and the camera hangs down vertically from the strap which means that it stays out of the way when carried with the strap over the shoulder. Oh yes, and it has two tripod mounts for portrait or landscape orientation. Data imprinting on the negative is useful, especially when your memory is as bad as mine.

Downsides are the fixed prism (no WLF, although a right-angle finder is available), the fairly loud film motor wind, the inability to switch film mid-roll, and the fact that accessories can cost a fortune.

I have a 645N and I love it! Just shot yesterday in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina. (film drying now). I hiked all the way up Pilot mountain (6000ft) with the camera, 45-85, 80-160, and 75mm lenses and the weight was not an issue. There is NO mirror slap issue with a tripod, even though it is loud. I also use it all the time handheld without difficulty. The N version adds autofocus capability with the FA (autofocus) lenses. I would definitely recommend the SMC 645 FA 75mm f/2.8 lens first. It focuses quickly and I have used it for street shooting. This combo is really no bigger than a Nikon F5 and zoom lens. The manual focus SMC A lenses are very sharp and focus is buttery smooth. The other lens I use mostly is the 45-85 zoom for landscapes. It is tack sharp. I use a 150 mm SMC A f/3.5 for portraits. The matrix meter is spot on for exposure. I used to bracket exposures a lot but found that the metered exposure was best nearly every time. The 645N has program, aperture priority, shutter priority, and fully manual modes. Please keep in mind that the 645N controls are significantly different and more intuitive than the original 645. The 645Nii adds mirror lockup, but at significant cost increase, and I have not had any issues with this in the 645N as the mirror is well dampened. Check out Pentaxforums.com for more technical information. I researched this a great deal, and IMHO it is one of the best cameras for the money. I have been very happy with my 645 lenses that I purchased from KEH. Feel free to PM me anytime. Best regards,
Kent

What the others have said! I love my Pentax 645N. Ken Rockwell's review is very nice.

Pro-quality wedding camera from 2000. Easy handling and usage, as each knob does one thing. Data edge printing, is most useful. Not much bigger than the big Canikon DSLRs of today. I've carried mine in the back pack on long day hikes with several lenses. It rides nicely on the shoulder strap.

The only reasons not to choose the P645N might to carry a light weight MF rangefinder or to go all the way up to 67 format film. The cost of film & scanning isn't that much more for 6x7, and you get almost another doubling of film size.

I have never used a Pentax 645 camera, so perhaps my opinion is invalid. But I have used some Mamiya 645 cameras, and have to say this: go big or go home.

The Mamiya 7 is my favorite camera right now. So worth it.

If it's too expensive, get a Pentax 6x7. With the wood grip, it is very sturdy. The 105/2.4 lens is unique in the world of photography. The 55mm f/4 SMC lens rivals image quality of the Zeiss hasselblad lenses. The metered prism works very well.

For the record, I'm currently selling my Pentax 6x7, I've had it for about two years and it's been a great camera. My composition feels more resolved when using the Mamiya 7 though.

My brother had a GF670, I thought it was fantastic. It probably the most portable modern 6x7 camera I can think of. The lens is very sharp, and while I had no problem with it's handling, that's personal thing.

I used to have a Mamiya 7, if you're OK with the plastic build, then there is not a lot wrong with it really. Does not fold up small like the GF670, but has the option of other lenses of course.

Cannot go wrong with either. For flexibility, Mamiya 7, for build similar to a Zeiss Ikon, GF670.

I had the original 645 and it was a good camera, but i hated the menu driven interface.

Then came the 645N and 645 NII. Great cameras with a very good interface. Lots of dials and buttons. They even imprint shooting info on the neg. They don't have an interchangeable back, but if you can live without it they are excellent cameras. These were workhorses for wedding shooters.

Lots of camera for your money.

Bit the bullet and ordered a 645N outfit from KEH today with the 75/2.8 lens. Pretty psyched - there's a dearth of GW670s on sale right now, and I couldn't justify upgrading from my Bronica to a Hasselblad for essentially the same method of working.

Curious to find out if the Courierware Incognito XS on its way to me will hold the Pentax by itself.

Arrived a little while ago - this camera is outstanding. It's just fun to hold and shoot, AF is fast-ish, bright viewfinder.

I need to order a bunch of MF film, I think...

Just want to give this thread a bump because the Pentax 645n is such a good camera. Both shots with the excellent FA 45-85mm

53738499010_e2c0f474f0_o.jpg
IMG_0802

53729966933_5046a10271_o.jpg
IMG_0777

The are awesome cameras. I don't shoot mine enough. I absolutely love it for portraits but I prefer my Rolleiflex on the street so the Rollei seems to get the nod twice as often.

I've used a bunch of 6x7 cameras including Fuji GW670ii, Mamiya 7, Pentax 67, Mamiya RB67. In theory a bigger negative is always my choice. But in the past year I was given a Pentax 645. I had used it in Europe as a loaner & got fine results. Is it loud? Yes? is it complex in its own ways (loading, menu, electronics). Yes. The lenses are superb and i got great results. I have the 45,75,200. Today the pentax system is a bargain compared to other MF cameras. In the 1990s, my friend paid 1 million italian lire for the 45mm! (over $1000 USD). Today you can buy one on Ebay for $200 USD or less. Shockingly good glass. Happy to have the system.
IMG_6711 2.JPG

Last edited:
52318176641_d16b8337c5_b.jpg

645N with 150-300. Pentax 6x7 lenses will also work great on it with the Pentax adapter and shoot like native glass.

52798744721_97f218a7d1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Then the bug hits for a 645D and that large CCD sensor.....

52913060425_27e6d36447_b.jpg

52446399745_70cb799d8c_b.jpg
I have almost bought this camera a dozen times. If I were more committed to using digital I would already own it but I already own two wonderful Pentax digital cameras that barely get used now.

If you ever get a chance to try one, take it. As closely related as it is to the 645N the feeling of the camera is different. Just extremely solid, well put together and very refined. At base ISO that sensor can be gorgeous but IQ does drop off pretty quickly with ISO. I ended up selling mine but that was more to do with having three complete digital systems (with limitations in each) and settling on a single system that does everything I want from it.

If you ever get a chance to try one, take it. As closely related as it is to the 645N the feeling of the camera is different. Just extremely solid, well put together and very refined. At base ISO that sensor can be gorgeous but IQ does drop off pretty quickly with ISO. I ended up selling mine but that was more to do with having three complete digital systems (with limitations in each) and settling on a single system that does everything I want from it.
Thanks. I rented a 645D from Lensrentals a couple of times after it came out. It was lots of fun and I enjoyed working with it. I am more into using film though so it may be awhile. But who knows what could happen. If one shows up at the right price I may go for it.

Back