Thoughts (yours? ) on the impending Ricoh GXR

Local time
8:03 AM
I'm not sure if the subject has been mentioned already - excuse me if so!. Just been reading in my weekly comic ( Amateur Photographer ) about Ricoh's unveiling of the GXR. Apparently with this latest wonder - you not only change the lens, but also the sensor and 'engine', which are in a little black box on the back of it!....geewhizz! - what will they come up with next?. It's very unlikely that this old fogey will be investing in this system - but I wonder what your thoughts and expectations of it are?. Overkill?, sales ploy?, just the thing for 4/3?, total crap?, there's been some interesting dialogue on this format lately -I think this latest toy will add to it? :)
Dave.

i'll get it with the 50mm macro cuz i'm a foodie, but probably won't use it for street. contrast detect af makes the lcd image go in and out of focus on these larger sensor compacts, which totally gets in the way.

I like the concept of the lens and sensor as a single optimized imaging unit (or whatever you want to call it). It seems odd, but I think that concept is the mindset of camera manufacturers. The Ricoh camera will probably fail, but I don't think that failure will be the end of it.

/

I like the concept of the lens and sensor as a single optimized imaging unit (or whatever you want to call it). It seems odd, but I think that concept is the mindset of camera manufacturers. The Ricoh camera will probably fail, but I don't think that failure will be the end of it.

/
Just looked again at the end of the mag. article - prices of the lens-units and viewfinders! :eek: ....they will need to be pretty d**n good!
Dave.

Presumably, Ricoh expects sensor quality to improve rapidly enough to warrant bringing out new lens-sensor-software packs every year or so. I hope they've guessed correctly because rapid improvements in sensor tech mean new leading edge capabilities and cheaper prices for those of us off the leading edge.

if they make it with apsc sensor with a 18/21/24 equiv lens I would be incredibly tempted by one.

The idea is still ridiculous though

Back