TIF Format ... can it be changed?

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
4:09 PM
This may sound very naiive, but I am digitally challenged.
How can I change an image file from TIF to jpg, if it is even possible?

Raid

In PC land you make a copy of the file by saving it as a jpeg.

Bob

rpsawin said:
In PC land you make a copy of the file by saving it as a jpeg.

Bob

Bob,

When I tried to save it in another format while in PS, it did not offer jpg as an option. That's why I asked the question.

Raid

If it's a 16-bit file (look in the image menu and click on mode) you'll need to change it to 8-bit and you'll be able to save it as a jpg. Hope this helps.

wray said:
If it's a 16-bit file (look in the image menu and click on mode) you'll need to change it to 8-bit and you'll be able to save it as a jpg. Hope this helps.

Yes, the images are 16-bit files, and Yes, when changing them to 8-bit files I got many options.

Thanks.

Raid

Raid,
You've probably already saved your photo by now, but as a general note to those who have not made the same mistakes as I have...

If you have gone to the trouble to scan in an image, protect that image. First save the image. Then use the "save as" or "save a copy" . This way you with have the original file to go back to if you need to, and you are working on a copy.

So with your file you would first save your tiff. Next, do a "save as" -- naming it something like "imagename-working.psd". Then convert this new file, "imagename-working.psd", to an 8 bit file, and then saving the file as a jpeg ("imagename-working.jpg").

Take care,
Michael

Thanks to wray, Rav and Michael for helping me, too.

I have the same problem, but ... if I think about it: yeah that´s exactly my problem. I do scan in 16 bit mode. Never thought about jpeg only working in 8 bit.

Again: thank you so much. That´s - once again - a very helpful thread on rff.

Thomas

Back