Time for a new printer?

Ste_S

Well-known
Local time
2:44 AM
I like Awagami Bamboo paper. However I'm not getting accurate colours from my Canon TS5051. I can't load custom paper profiles to this printer, so I'm relying on Canon's 'Matte' profile. Printing from photoshop, with the printer handling colour.

Anything I can do to sort the colours out, or is it time to buy a new printer that I can load paper specific profiles too?

Paper profiles are not loaded to the printer, a dumb peripheral. They are loaded to the printer profiles within your computer which sends all those X's and O's to the printer to print.

Replacing your printer will do nothing to solve your problem. Understanding the printing process will.

I assume you're talking about ICC profiles and not the paper profiles. As Bob said, ICC profiles are loaded to your OS (Windows/MAC) and not the printer. Paper profiles are another story. I use EPSON R3000 and it does have several legacy paper profiles which I can successfully use with 3d party papers.

Very slightly off topic: Recommend me a printer that prints accurate color on glossy paper, that does not cost an arm and a leg.

Very slightly off topic: Recommend me a printer that prints accurate color on glossy paper, that does not cost an arm and a leg.

Just as there is no such thing as a "good camera" that will insure good photos, there is no such thing as a "good printer" that will insure good prints. It is all up to the user and their knowledge / use of their tools. That technical quality threshold is met in just about all the lowest price printers today.

As far as price, realize the ink costs are the critical factor. You can assume that replacing all the ink cartridges will cost about half what you paid for the printer including a full set of ink carts.

Sorry I cannot recommend a specific brand or model. Neither of my two printers are made any more. I have been happy with Epson printers for 20 years but others dislike them. Similar to me liking Toyotas but others would not have anything but a Chevrolet.

I assume you're talking about ICC profiles and not the paper profiles. As Bob said, ICC profiles are loaded to your OS (Windows/MAC) and not the printer. Paper profiles are another story. ......

Actually paper profiles are also in the computer. There is no software or intelligence in the printer other than some firmware that tells which nozzle to squirt ink when it receives a certain signal or advance the paper for another signal.

Actually paper profiles are also in the computer. There is no software or intelligence in the printer other than some firmware that tells which nozzle to squirt ink when it receives a certain signal or advance the paper for another signal.

Not to take this discussion too technical. My point is that ICC profiles can be added and used in the software. Paper profiles are embedded into the printer driver and cannot be changed or added by the user.

A few years ago I read an article by Ctein, the custom printer who used to do dye transfers but now does inkjets. He advised those who use Epson printers and Mac OS to try letting the printer handle the color rather than using profiles. Ctein said he no longer uses ICC profiles for his printing and this method is better more simple.

Since I had been having some issues myself I gave it a try. I worked beautifully and I've done this ever since. Does it work with Canon and other computers? Dunno.

..... He advised those who use Epson printers and Mac OS to try letting the printer handle the color rather than using profiles. Ctein said he no longer uses ICC profiles for his printing and this method is better more simple. .....

I believe Chris Crawford suggested this as well here on RFF a year or so ago.

I continue to use profiles with PS or LR managing the printer since that always worked for me and I believe in not trying to fix something that is not broken. But it is an option.

It is possible to have a color managed workflow, but with a cost. The first question is do you have a color managed monitor? If not, you will never get prints to match the monitor.
I checked Awagami's website. They have ICC profiles for their papers for some printers. The list for each manufacturer is the more expensive "professional" printers for each. So if you buy a new printer, pick from their list.
Other options include Raster Image Processors such as Image Print, which is a hole other level of cost.
So if you are serious about color, you need to start with a color managed monitor.
My set up is an Eizo monitor with built-in calibration, a Canon iPF 1000 and custom made profiles made by my value-added Canon printer dealer. A good value added dealer can teach you how to get accurate color.

A few years ago I read an article by Ctein, the custom printer who used to do dye transfers but now does inkjets. He advised those who use Epson printers and Mac OS to try letting the printer handle the color rather than using profiles. Ctein said he no longer uses ICC profiles for his printing and this method is better more simple.

Since I had been having some issues myself I gave it a try. I worked beautifully and I've done this ever since. Does it work with Canon and other computers? Dunno.

I read it as well and tried on my Epson P600 : I agree it works well.

It is possible to have a color managed workflow, but with a cost. The first question is do you have a color managed monitor? ..... So if you are serious about color, you need to start with a color managed monitor. ......

While a complete color managed workflow does have a nominal upfront cost in hardware and time, the result is a permanent savings in time, ink and paper by eliminating test prints. There is nothing like knowing that your first print will also be your final. I have no worry that my first print which is on a $3- sheet of 13x19 paper will not have be reprinted.

You still need a color managed / calibrated monitor even if you don't print. You want others to be able to see your work the way you intended it. If your monitor is not calibrated, you have no clue how it will look to the rest of the world. And that is after you spent all that money and time in selecting the perfect lens to demonstrate your vision. If you only view photos but never post, your uncalibrated monitor will not show what the photographer intended.

Of course you can get in the ballpark with an uncalibrated setup. Just like you can plug a memory card into the kiosk at WalMart and get an acceptable automated print. But if that's all you want, why do you have such an investment in cameras and lenses?

I do think a complete color managed workflow is as essential for b&w as for color. Those fine nuances in tonality in a b&w print become critical just as color balance is in a color print.

Back