titanium 35 summilux pre asph worth it?

wpm

Local time
1:12 PM
I'm hoping Tom will chime in here so here's my question. I'm in a position to buy a German titanium 35 summilux pre asph. Wide open it has the Leica "glow" and is definitely soft, though it has a certain something. By f4 it's one sharp little lens. It's a bit pricey, although in line with what I've been seeing lately. I know it boils down to personal taste but I'm wondering a) how few of these were made and b) will it increase in value over time. As a long term user value doesn't much matter but should I use it and decide it's not my cup of tea down the road, am I going to take a beating on what I paid for it? I have other 35's, all of them nice, but something about this thing speaks to me.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Warren

Thanks for the link and your thoughts. I don't care so much that it's titanium plated or whatever, it just happens to be the one I can readily get my hands on and see how it performs. Money no longer grows on trees, I'm retired, but I could swing it. Just a matter of how big of an arc I want that swing to go. I do think you have to live with equipment a while before you can really see if it's for you, hence the resale concern.

The Titanium Summilux is a bit of a "decorator" lens. It does look good on a Titanium M6, but performance is the same as a stock Summilux 35 pre-asph. If you like the look of it - go for it - but a "plain jane" late black one would do just fine. There is a certain scarcity value to it - but long time value is a bit iffy. Today the buyers are looking for the latest whizz bang lenses for their digital M's - and with 4000+ made - easy enough to find if someone needs or wants one.
This said, there is still the the "I want one" factor to contend with. Oscar Wilde put it well: "Never resist a temptation - it might not happen again".

Ha, Oscar and I would have gotten along. Thanks Tom for the advice. I'm at the point where I think you only live once, and if you do it right, that's enough. I'm also one to not spend with too much abandon. All things being equal, I'd go for the less expensive one and pocket the cash. May keep looking.

Back