TL2 vs ?

v3cron

Well-known
Local time
11:14 PM
I’m a Leica M film shooter, but have never owned a proper digital camera (only phones and a brief flirtation with a little Ricoh). I would like something that can use my M lenses via an adapter, but I don’t want to spend more than 2k for so. So there’s the TL2 and then some cheaper Fuji/Sony bodies out there.

What justifies the TL2 over the others? My only priorities are speed/shutter lag and overall image quality. I don’t need a zillion features.

Also, will any of these take my old 21mm Super Angulon 3.4?

The TL/TL2 are lovely cameras, but the control experience is unique unto them and might take some getting used to.

If you can spring the extra, the CL body will give you a little closer to the M control experience. I see them listed on Ebay for around $2200. Of course, that includes the built-in EVF, an add-on for the TL2. A CL body and a Leica M Adapter L will net you the ability to use almost any M-mount lens; I don't know about the Super Angulon specifically but likely yes.

G

I am not sure about the Super Angulon 21 f3.4, but I have read that the Super Angulon 21mm f4 does not fit in the Leica cl/tl/sl which put me off of buying any of these. There is not enough room behind the lens flange. F3.4, I am not sure. But I would think it probably won't fit.

I have read that it should fit on Sony A7 series or on Nikon Z series. Also, it does fit on Leica M digital.

If you liked your Ricoh before, it will definitely fit on the Ricoh GXR with the M mount module. I just recently sold mine and can confirm it works. My issue with wide angles on that camera is focus peaking is harder to use the wider the lens. If you stick to zone focusing you should be fine.

The TL/TL2 are lovely cameras, but the control experience is unique unto them and might take some getting used to.

If you can spring the extra, the CL body will give you a little closer to the M control experience. I see them listed on Ebay for around $2200. Of course, that includes the built-in EVF, an add-on for the TL2. A CL body and a Leica M Adapter L will net you the ability to use almost any M-mount lens; I don't know about the Super Angulon specifically but likely yes.

G

Thanks. The CL looks nice, but I feel like if I spend that much, I should go full frame. Used TL2s are around $1000, so that’s still a big difference.

I am not sure about the Super Angulon 21 f3.4, but I have read that the Super Angulon 21mm f4 does not fit in the Leica cl/tl/sl which put me off of buying any of these. There is not enough room behind the lens flange. F3.4, I am not sure. But I would think it probably won't fit.

I have read that it should fit on Sony A7 series or on Nikon Z series. Also, it does fit on Leica M digital.

If you liked your Ricoh before, it will definitely fit on the Ricoh GXR with the M mount module. I just recently sold mine and can confirm it works. My issue with wide angles on that camera is focus peaking is harder to use the wider the lens. If you stick to zone focusing you should be fine.

Thanks! I’ll look at those.

The TL2 is a design of rare beauty when it comes to digital cameras ... the CL not so much.
The TL2 with LCD and 18TL works well, but I did not enjoy using the LCD with the 21/4,5 ZM. I do like the b&W jpegs, so would call it as comparable to the Ricoh GR in use.

However the EVF is a bit of a carbuncle and unfortunately is really essential when focusing M lenses. A TL2 with visoflex and wide lenses is a good combination where the tilting EVF offers compositional advantages over the CL with fixed viewfinder.
Leica's own M-L adapter is needed to bring up the focus peaking - so add that to the budget.

The TL2 is a design of rare beauty when it comes to digital cameras ... the CL not so much.
The TL2 with LCD and 18TL works well, but I did not enjoy using the LCD with the 21/4,5 ZM. I do like the b&W jpegs, so would call it as comparable to the Ricoh GR in use.

However the EVF is a bit of a carbuncle and unfortunately is really essential when focusing M lenses. A TL2 with visoflex and wide lenses is a good combination where the tilting EVF offers compositional advantages over the CL with fixed viewfinder.
Leica's own M-L adapter is needed to bring up the focus peaking - so add that to the budget.

Thanks. I agree that the aesthetics of the TL are a huge cut above the majority of digital cameras, which all kind of look like bland family sedans to me :). I’m starting to think it may be more practical to go with a Fuji.

I’ve kept my T as an APS companion for the M10M because

*they share the extremely useful carbuncle (digital WLF versatility as I have been using since the days of the GXR M);

*it can take M lenses without the risk of smeary vignetting etc. as was the case with the first A7 with M wides (>35mm);

*it is a cool hunk of aluminum and touchscreen (okay, the screen doesn’t like full sun, but I set ISO, shoot M, and speed is under your thumb).

Don’t know about 21SA, but a ZM 21/2.8 fits fine, and a CV 15/4.5 makes a great 21mm FOV.

The A7II can take a TechArt M AF carbuncle, if assisted focus seems desirable in addition to FF. My A7II is also Kolarified, so those are worthwhile considerations, I think, for someone shooting M lenses digitally without a digital M.

Good luck, happy shooting.

Is there any reason to buy the Leica lens adapter if none of my lenses are modern coded types, or would the off brand versions offer the same experience?

I was looking at precisely that set up of a T with a 21/4.5 ZM but was thinking of using a 35mm external viewfinder - so a kind of scale focus, point and shoot. So, other than the ergonomics of using the LCD, would you say the setup makes sense? Thanks!

Is there any reason to buy the Leica lens adapter if none of my lenses are modern coded types, or would the off brand versions offer the same experience?

My understanding is that focus peaking is only available if the Leica M-T/M-L adapter is used. Focus magnification might still work with a 3rd part adapter, but I don’t have one to confirm this.

I was looking at precisely that set up of a T with a 21/4.5 ZM but was thinking of using a 35mm external viewfinder - so a kind of scale focus, point and shoot. So, other than the ergonomics of using the LCD, would you say the setup makes sense? Thanks!

f/8 and be there, that will work..

Back