TLR: My first Yashica Mat 124G experience

When I had my Yashica MAT 124G I normally used the builtin meter. It worked as fine as any other reflective meter, and as badly. For lower light, I used a Sekonic Micro Leader that worked in surprisingly low light. However, you are going to love that Gossen Luna Pro if it works correctly. You might have to compesate for the differences in voltage if it hasn't been calibrated for non mercury batteries. Other than that, those are great little meters. I really like mine, and in fact prefer it over the sbc as it is a little smaller. Just won't fit the spot meter on those rare occassions I need/want that.

Do try some slide film some time soon. It will indeed blow you away as much as that big viewfinder already has.

Ricardo, you did snipe me on the Yashica hood! But that's OK, I have another. You will definitely find it useful outdoors, since as someone else has said, the lenses are not sheltered and thus prone to flare.

The meter is fine, but it's a little tricky to know just what it's reading. When in doubt, overexpose when using print film. I do like the way the meter comes on only when you flip open the viewing hood. (And unless you have the correct batteries, remember to cut the film speed in half when setting it, or you'll underexpose.)

oftheherd, I am going to solder a diode in series to the red battery wire to allow me to use SR44 batteries once I make a physical adapter. There is a mercury battery thread going on right now about this.

KoNickon, Three people tried sniping at the end, my bid was just a guess after tracking a few of these the past few weeks. Since you have a hood I don't feel so bad. :D I've been on the losing end of this several times so I was happy to finally hit one.

Pherdinand said:
I hate TLR's!

:D

Yeah, me too!

Here's a snapshot my mother took of me (Olympus Stylus Epic) while I was taking the second picture of her (sorry, all I have is a scan of the contact sheet right now).

Attachments

• rolleiandme.jpg
    rolleiandme.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0
  • momcamproof.jpg
    momcamproof.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have used TLR cameras since 1958. My first was a Yashica LM and then a Rolleiflex. I have used Rolleiflex, Rolleicord, Mamiya TLR of many forms, Minolta Autocord, and almost all of the Yashica TLR versions.

At this time, I have a Yashica 124 (not "e"), a Yashica 635, and a gray leather Yashica A.

Right now, my favorite is the Yashica A. It's very simple to operate, reliable, and produces outstanding images even with the three element Yashicor lens.

After all this time using TLR cameras, I think the Yashica lenses produce outstanding images, the cameras are easy to operate, and I prefer them over Rolleiflex.

Thanks for the comments Todd. It helps to ease my Rolleiflex envy and just focus on improving my skill with my Yashica TLR. I have a light meter and a nice hood to go with it now so I'm all set to practice, practice, practice.

You have me beat by 14 years. I inherited a Yashica D in 1972. I still recommend the D to anyone wanting to test the waters with a TLR.

Shooting with a gray leather A? That's a rare one.

what's the general opinion on the yashinon wide/tele adapter lens set for the 124G? should i bother to take a second look at it? or i'd be better off with a different TLR with interchangeable lenses?

From what I have read and experienced, they are not all that hot. The image is soft. Glass on glass and all that. Best to use shoe leather method, move the camera closer or farther away. If wide angle is that important to you, another brand of TLR will be the answer. There are some TLR forums on flickr dot com if you want more info on this.

Charles

I also think they aren't that wide or long -- so not much of a difference from the normal lens.

If you want wide, you'll need to get a Mamiya (the C220 is a good choice) and a 55mm or wider lens.

When I had my 124 I picked up a set of wide/tele auxilliary lenses. They diminished the quality of the Yashica's lens. I gave them away to a student.

Ted

The switch from 35 to MF is easy. The switch to LF takes machismo! I'm saving LF for my retirement years. That and lawn bowling.

Lawn bowling, combined with good beer, could be the way to go. As for me, I got bored and leased the ground floor of an old hotel, the Silver King, in Brewery Gulch. 1300 square feet. My son, a digital whizzbang, and I, a black und white film wetroom guy, finally have some space to work in. I'm building a darkroom in one room and he's turning another room into a totally light-controlled studio. Norman lights, soft boxes, giant Canon DSLR, etc. Plus the whole front of our space used to be an art gallery.

Ceilings are 13 feet high. There's a bar across the street. The bar is next door to a pizza joint. Retirement's looking good.

Ted

The first year of my retirement I am going to spend sitting in my rocking chair on the front porch. The second year I will start rocking.

Wayne

Back