To Nikon SP shooters: what's your fav lens?

From all the conversation here I guess I should see to pick up an 8.5 cms lens then! :) I really like wide angles, but the SP offers just a finder without focusing patch for the 3.5 cm lens. With the S3, I have focusing AND frame lines in the finder.

BTW, I have an SP coming next week.

I think the 3.5cm f/1.8 is one of the best optics you could ever get, from any manufacturer, from any era. The f/2.5 version is not too far behind.
All of the 5cm lenses are great.
The 8.5 and 10.5cm lenses are legendary. I think for the SP I'd personally go with a 3.5 and 8.5 or 10.5. Then if needing a 5cm, I'd get an S2 with the lens attached and carry both bodies. Did that for a few years and I was always sad that I had to sell the kit.
Phil Forrest

Amen
Last couple of months assembling the same thing. Not so certain what I’d sell it came to that.

I’m not going to put it in for a vote.

My SP went to Don Goldberg's camera spa and I may be getting it some time soon(ish). I know because he sent me an estimate. My plans are to take advantage of the finder/rangefinder window and use a 50mm f1.4 and an 85mm with it. Since I have the S3, I'll have to procure a 35mm lens for it (because I like that focal length).

But that's all in the future. Right now, I am kinda stuck with two 50s.

One final question: does the SP have parallax correction?

One final question: does the SP have parallax correction?

Yes, for the main window (50/85/105/135). The smaller wide-angle window has a parallax indicator marking for the 35mm brightlines, I think indicating 2m/6ft. For 28mm, you use the entire window and there are no parallax markings because it is considered negligible. You can see the viewfinder windows in Mike Eckman's review.

35mm on a S3 and 85mm on a SP is a pretty sweet setup.

I have had an SP for a while, I now have 2. Choosing a favorite lens is hard but I really like the 50mm f2. I also have a soft spot for the 28mm f3.5.

The 85mm is not especially sharp, the 105mm is a bit too narrow for rangefinder focusing, and a heavy lens to carry all day. While I like the 35mm f2.5 the 35mm f1.8 is superior and the 28mm just has a more distinct character.

You must have a bad sample of the 8.5cm f/2. I've had many of them over the years and they were all very, very sharp. This was one of the lenses that put Nikon on the map, having so impressed David Douglas Duncan with its performance compared to Leica's offerings back in the early years of Nikon lenses.

Back