Tom Abrahamsson - Rangefinder Royalty

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
7:12 AM
Camtec Photo of Montreal recently put into words what most everyone at RFF already knows -

Tom Abrahamsson: Rangefinder Royalty Visits Montreal
tom_tuulikki_camtec.jpg

A short while ago, I was surprised to see the always active and chipper Tom Abrahamsson and his lovely wife Tuulikki walk into the boutique for a visit. Tom, a legendary industrial designer and fan of everything rangefinder, created a line of high quality accessories including the M rapid winder and an assortment of Softie shutter releases which we happily stock.

Tom has a longtime friendship with Cosina’s Hirofumi Kobayashi and is instrumental in the development of Voigtländer rangefinder lenses. His input helps make these lenses the groundbreaking, ingenious and desirable optics that we enjoy today.

---

Rangefinder Royalty Indeed!

I am of course very flattered - but also humbled. All I do is shot film with my Leicas (and other cameras). No aspirations about fame or fortune. As for Royalty - scary thought - should I develop a Royal Wave.
Jean at Camtec was a pleasure to meet (having talked with hiim multiple times on the phone) - great store too.And he makes a mean espresso to boot.

Maybe Rangefinder Radical instead. Solidarity rather than being uncomfortably boosted. But the distinction is deserved, whatever the title.

Since Tom is now royalty and since royalty are always busy doing royal things, I am especially flattered that he takes time out his busy day (probably giving out royal commands), commenting now and then on my most likely unroyal photos. For that I thank you. All hail the king!!! or Aw hell the king!!

I am of course very flattered - but also humbled. All I do is shot film with my Leicas (and other cameras). No aspirations about fame or fortune. As for Royalty - scary thought - should I develop a Royal Wave.
Jean at Camtec was a pleasure to meet (having talked with hiim multiple times on the phone) - great store too.And he makes a mean espresso to boot.

I agree wholeheartedly - Jean is a gentlemen.

Will we be able to see the pictures you took in Montréal? :)

Tom, congrats on that title!!! Very appropriate, IMO.:D

Keep on shootin'!!!

"For that I thank you. All hail the king!!! or Aw hell the king!!"

I am glad my coffee was not ready when I read this!

Congrats on the title. The input and advice you give in this forum is absolutely priceless and why not call it "Royal" as well.

If Tom had anything to do with my Bessa R; he is Royality. The R is probably the most enjoyable camera I have used. When I bought it I just wanted something to put my screw mounts on besides my IIIf. But there is always film in it now.

I have never heard a bad word uttered about Tom. My boss Jem Kime sings nothing but his praises. Would be nice to have a coffee and chat cameras one day.
He also makes some exceptional camera accessories

Onya Tom...If ever you guys get tired of living in the frozen north, come and live in sunny South Oz. We'll find heaps of stuff for you to do and things to repair.

Since Tom is Canadian, I believe he can (and should) be knighted.
Should we henceforth refer to him as Sir Tom?
Tom - thank you for all you do for our community.

Tom and Tuuilikki are very benevolent royalty. I have learned a lot from them over the short time I've been on this forum. I always look forward daily to seeing what they have in my Flickr feed. T&T are the best!

PF

Back