Tom Needs to Shoot Less and Read More Lens Reviews!

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
1:49 AM
I talked with Tom A last night. Tom mentioned that some people complain about the Voigtlander 50/1.5's bokeh, or out of focus imagery. Yet he has no such complaints on it even though he shoots it extensively, along with practically every other current 50mm Leica RF lens.

I explained to Tom that he needs to shoot less,
so he could read other's reviews and learn more about his lens.

We both had a good laugh.

While the net is a great place to share information, it is also a great place to share mis-information.

Don't believe what others say, unless it works for you!

Stephen

I love the CV 50 1.5. I have owned the 50 summilux 1.4 pre-ASPH and ASPH (both great), but have no complaints about my CV...it is right up there in my book.

CameraQuest said:
I talked with Tom A last night. Tom mentioned that some people complain about the Voigtlander 50/1.5's bokeh
I think you're confusing the 50mm Nokton with the 40mm Nokton. I've never read a complaint about the bokeh of the 50mm Nokton. I've read complaints about the paint coming off, and some flare...but bokeh of the 50mm Nokton?

"This" Tom needs to shoot MORE :D hehehehehehehee!!!!

I WANT A CV f1.5 50mm badly, I`ll gladly TEST one on some of my Retro PinUp Art Nude shoots, with my Leica SM`s or M6 I`m not partial :D

Tom

Couldn't agree more! And for the record, I am also quite happy with the bokeh of the Nokton 40mm. It's reputation is undeserved!

Bokeh depends on light condition, some handle well so not. 50/1.0 highlight Bokeh induce vomiting, however, under some lighting condition it is pleasant.

rover said:
Never believe anything you read on the internet!!!

I suppose that means that Canon did not really buy Leica and will not be marketing P&S rf's at Walmart....:eek:

Bob

Sometimes the internet is just a high tech version of casual conversation and not to be taken too seriously ... it still pays to listen though. :)

It's a good lens ... for the price it's fantastic ... build quality is average though IMHO ... mine came with a definite 'high milage' feel to it! :eek:

If I shot (and bulk loaded, and developed, and scanned, and traveled...) as much as Tom, I'd have no time for wine, women & song. Or be dead. ;)

When I tested the Nokton versus the 50 1.8 Nikkor AF, the Nokton won all the way in the sharpness and boke department. that lens is so good it's the only responsible for my jump in Leicaland.

Keith said:
Sometimes the internet is just a high tech version of casual conversation and not to be taken too seriously ... it still pays to listen though. :)

It's a good lens ... for the price it's fantastic ... build quality is average though IMHO ... mine came with a definite 'high milage' feel to it! :eek:
Too bad, mine feels solid as a rock and very smooth. I like the bokeh but I have heard folks refer negatively to it. These things are pretty subjective though. I like to say that "I prefer" or "I don't care for" rather than "It's bad" or something like that. Here's one shot pretty wide open that I like the bokeh on.
p369483598-3.jpg

Sorry, it makes me sea sick.

Gandy and Tom need to drink a little more together. Maybe they will get their stories straight, I guess Tom is Gandy's resident CV lobbyist.

To my mind the best bang for the buck is to be found in older lenses. I don't have Tom's money to buy new shoes that oft times hurt.

Trius said:
If I shot (and bulk loaded, and developed, and scanned, and traveled...) as much as Tom, I'd have no time for wine, women & song. Or be dead. ;)
There's always time to be dead. Trust me: I went to this modern composer's premier the other day...no life in that piece. It lasted over an hour.

Back