Tom, your old IIc is in my living room

Vickko

Mentor
Local time
3:16 PM
Tom, your old IIc is in my living room!

How are you?

I just came back from 2 weeks in Europe, shot 19 rolls of film with an R7, and lugged a 100 Macro and 28 PC-Angulon through Germany, Switzerland, Venice and Portsmouth. Loved the PC-Angulon for Venice.

And prior to leaving, I won an ebay auction for your first (?) IIc. It is here now, in 3 boxes. I bought it on a whim, and for the 100mm Focomat-2 lens. Not sure what to do with the enlarger, as I already have another one.

What are your new adventures for the fall / winter?

What is the sensibility / feasibility of going to Photokina 2008 at the last moment? How many miles away from the hotel would I need to book?

Hope to hear from you.

Vick

Vick, hope you have a large living room. Those IIc's are BIG! I know as I have one sitting on the floor in my office upstairs. I have to move the ELCAN 121 to make room for the IIc!
Soinds like a good trip. We are heading out for Photokina and Europe on the 15th. Flying to Dusseldorf, picking up a car there and going up to Sweden for a couple of days to see family. Then back down to Cologne and the all important Sunday Swap meet. After that we have a couple of days of putering around, probably France, but this depends on the weather too.
You should be able to get a room either in or around Cologne still. Check with one of the on-line booking sites. The Photokina ticket also serves as a transit ticket - you travel for free on local trains,trams and buses and during Photokina - most of these go to the Messe.
We are staying in Bonn Beul - a suburb to Bonn/Cologne and it is a direct trainride to Photokina from the hotel.
E-mail Tuulikki for details about our hotel - they might still have space, but I dont know.
Tom

We are staying in Bonn Beul - a suburb to Bonn/Cologne and it is a direct trainride to Photokina from the hotel.

Tom

You are going to stay in Bonn-Beuel !? :eek: :) That's a nice part of Bonn !! I was born and grown up in Bonn (Bonn Bad - Godesberg) ...

Gabor, for the last 5 photokinas we have been staying at Hotel Wilkin's by the Bahnhof. You just walk across the street, on to the train and get off at Messhalle.
Good breakfast and usually the same crowd from Photokina to Photokina - some of the large format guys,6-7 of us from Vancouver and L.A.
Great breakfast and in the evenings we all sit around and drink beer and complain about what wasen't at the "kina! OH, we also complain about sore feet - Photokina makes running long distance races look like childsplay. It is a HUGE set up. PMA in Vegas or Florida is just the size of one of the big halls in Cologne - and there are 10-11 of them!
Of course, the great initiative is the Swap meet on the Sunday. After you have looked at the newest glittering and beeping "thing" - you go there and blow the dust of a 1937 Orthometar 4.5/35 or fondle a Thambar!

Wow !! Funny part is, that I lived 37 years in Bonn and never made it to the Photokina ... :bang: Now I really want to go there but live a little bit far away ... :eek:

If weather is still fine in Bonn, you should have a beer at a restaurant near the river rhine in Beuel, called "Bahnhöfchen" (in German). They have a large terrace with a view over the river and tasty beer. :)

Back