Too much choice in Inkjet paper ?

John Bragg

Well-known
Local time
1:16 AM
So I'm back to printing after a 2 year break and I have enjoyed commiting some of my favorite images to paper. I am using a Canon IP7250 and always liked the results with Ilford Galerie Prestige Gold Mono Silk. This is sadly no longer available, which is a shame as I am a darkroom printer at heart and it faithfully reproduced the effect of a decent Baryta paper. I also like Galerie Prestige Smooth Pearl for run of the mill prints on RC paper. Again, it looks like a close facsimile of the Multigrade Warmtone Pearl that I used to use in my darkroom, and whilst it is still available, it is hard to find, and that brings me to the main point of this thread.
It seems that in this cut-throat world, only the highly successful papers stick around for any length of time. I am currently trying out some Permajet papers and on first impressions I am fairly happy. I chose their Smooth Pearl and on a complete whim also ordered some of their Oyster 271. To my eye, the Oyster is going to be a favorite in the long term and I would happily stock more of it. The question is, which Baryta paper from their range to choose as a replacement for my slowly dwindling Gold Mono Silk. I think a 25 sheet pack of FB Gold Silk 315 would be a fair trial and would welcome any comments or suggestions from anyone familiar with the Permajet range of paper.

Back