TOPAZ AI

hap

Well-known
Local time
1:41 AM
I am inerested in the all in one Topaz labs editing etc of my scanned film and outputs of my digicams. Anybody using TOPAZ AI as a primary workflow?

A little late to this but I have most of the Topaz labs products and use them as tools (Gigapixel, AI, DeNoise, Sharpen) when warranted. They can be very impressive but sometimes can also give strange artifacts. If you have a scanned file that you would like to see through AI I can run one for you. I was just trying AI with some scanned half-frame samples online and it is impressive.

I use these tools too. The artefacts problem is becoming better and better solved in the newer versions. It is an excellent series.

I'm a fairly recent user of Topaz Photo AI, the most "automatic" of their products. I've been using it mostly to up-res and de-noise some older digital images and scans. It's fun and usually works quite well. If I spent a lot of time tweaking I might match the results manually. But in many cases these are images where I'd be unlikely to spend that much time.

As others have said, you do have to watch for artifacts, usually where it tries to guess at faint texture or pattern. I find it helps if I turn down the sharpening sliders a little below the defaults and then add conventional sharpening using Lightroom. Face recovery tends to overdo it a bit, so I usually reduce those settings also.

I've been impressed by the built-in optical corrections from RAW files. I've run it on some pics without any other enhancements just for that.

The pace of updates is really impressive, at least with Photo AI. Seems like there's a release with tweaks and fixes waiting almost every time I fire it up.

Back