Topcon RE Super/Super D Frame Counter

KoNickon

Nick Merritt
Local time
2:22 AM
I recently got an RE Super and the frame counter has stopped working -- it will not reset when I open the back up. To be sure, this doesn't affect the operation of the camera in the least, but not knowing what exposure I am on makes me nuts, so I'd like to fix it.

I removed the righthand top cover to get at the frame counter mechanism, and it seems to work fine counting upward, but it will not reset. There is no kind of tension on the counter disc that causes it to return to 0 when the counter ratchet is released upon opening the back, which I believe there should be. But I see no evidence of there being a spring that would attach to the disc, and for that matter no spring fell out of the camera when I opened it up either.

Has anyone encountered this, or can point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Well, I should have checked the repair archive, since the service manual for the Super D/RE Super is there. Excellent.

And boy, I should have looked there first, since I've gotten myself in a world of hurt -- I removed the shutter speed dial to remove the right top cover and be able to get at the frame counter assembly, but the manual warns you to only do so after first tightening a set screw that keeps tight the chains that connect the meter, aperture and film speed settings. Of course, I didn't know I had to do that. Now all of those are out of kilter.

The good news is that the meter needle doesn't appear damaged as a result of the loss of spring tension, but getting all this readjusted will be one royal pain, I can tell. (And the repair manual isn't too clear on just what the problem with the frame counter might be.)

Most likely reason not to reset is that the light seals have the reset lever all gooped up.

Other than that, the spring to return it to start might be one turn too lose. Or some adjustment may be needed on the reset lever and the ratchet pawl it releases.

I filed the end of a screw to a point to make the "lock screw".

Back