Topcor LTM Topcon-S 50 2 vs 50 1.8

Topcor M39 screw mount lenses

littlemax

Local time
12:24 PM
These days, I was looking at 50mm lenses for my Canon bodies as I don't have any of them yet .

Was especially looking at the Topcor-S 50mm f2 which has been discussed here ..
Though today, when visiting a Leica store, I stumbled upon the f1.8 version of the lens. Version which I didn't even know it existed

The max aperture is not really relevant to me, but I am interested to know how the two compares in terms of image quality.

(Regarding prices it's quite similar :300€ on ebay for the f2, 360€ for the f1.8)

I've got the Topcor f1.8 and a couple of versions of the f2, but I have not done any rigorous side-by-side tests. In regular picture taking, however, there is not much, if anything, to differentiate them. That is not surprising since, in my experience, all fairly fast (i.e., f1.8-f2) 50s from that era, from all optical houses, are excellent.

My guess is that because the f1.8 is newer, it might have better flare control and might be improved wide-open. I doubt such differences would show much is regular use.

So, if you are a shooter, you probably don't need the f1.8. If you are a collector, you gotta have it. If, like I am, you are a collector who uses what he collects, then, like me, maybe you should get it; they do not show up very often.

Cheers,

David

Many thanks David,

If the f1.8 isn't worse than the f2, and even newer, I think it will do.

I am not (yet) a (true) collector but as the price difference isn't huge and the f1.8 easily reachable here, compared to its asian f2 counterparts that will need a 2 weeks wait, I think I will go for the f1.8 :)

Indeed xayraa33, discovered the Topcon lenses through the SLR range. Best construction ever (on top of good glass..).
Though wasn't sure why a f1.8 when a good f2 was on the market .. Well nothing to worry about it seems ! :)

I own the black version of the Topcor-S 5cm F2, which I believe was sold with Leotax cameras and maybe some other rarer Japanese LTM rangefinders. There are some sample photos taken with it on my wordpress blog. It is quite an excellent lens as expected and I'd say it has a much modern character than the somewhat more common, and usually much more expensive, Simlar 5cm F1.5, another fast prime that was often bundled with Leotax bodies.

There is an older chrome plated Topcor 5cm F2 and I'm not sure how it relates, if at all, to the later black model. I'll be testing and posting about another similar fast LTM prime from that era very soon: the Leonon 5cm F2, an example of which I was lucky enough to obtain recently at modest cost. The Leonon is a very uncommon lens today, perhaps even to be categorized as rare (although all that is relative of course!).

Leonon 5cm/F2-Any Results?

Leonon 5cm/F2-Any Results?

Hi David,
Finally back on RFF after a long hiatus of not being able to post. I hope my account is finally straightened out. Wondering if you have had any chance of using the Leonon 5cm/F2 yet? It has always been a lens I have had interest in as I have a later black Topcor 5cm/F2 also I use interchangeably with a Fuji 5cm/F2 on a Leotax FV body. Have often wondered if the Leonon has any different"signature" from the Topcor?
Gary

So here is the 50 1.8 :

med_U54074I1388598163.SEQ.0.jpg

Pretty much in mint condition. Just loves the very short 90° throw. Buttery smooth. With Leotax cap, so probably the highly priced kit of the Leotax RF camera or later version.
Didnt really have time to use it. The only shooting done were in the store and during a walk in the city at night.
In the store it appeard more contrasty than a Summitar, though was not an actual comparison. during my walk I noticed some flat shaped coma at f1.8 and even f2 which is a bit more than I expected for a lens of this caliber. My canon 35 1.5 LTM behaves better at 1.5, mostly because coma is more regular (but not less present)

I have now to test it in proper daytime shoot and for portraits. Should not be disappoointed.

I think the 50/1.8 was sold with the very last Leotax manufactured, the G model.
Very rare and very expensive, so you have a nice find.

Well I have tried this Topcor 50 f1.8 with Sony A7 today. Been shooting some candid shots at a museum café.

Here are two shots and 100% crops, both at f1.8 and ISO 320.

U54074I1390060942.SEQ.0.jpg

U54074I1390060942.SEQ.1.jpg

U54074I1390060943.SEQ.2.jpg

U54074I1390060943.SEQ.3.jpg

These are JPEG straight from camera with pretty much anything off but "Chromatic aberration auto correct".
As it was in dim light it was not really present but I would say it can show a bit of CA at f1.8 and f2. At least as much as a modern 50 f1.4 SLR lens from any make used wide open.

Though I have been pleased by contrast and sharpness of this lens. It really gives some great result. Especially indoor, where colors are nicely saturated.
I have not posted outdoor shots but they looked duller. Really a portrait lens.

This is the full set with 24M pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/maxence10/sets/72157639891795626/ (i will post more in the future)

Indeed I really like it. Its conception is also really nice (I like the short throw and the very large focusing ring which spans accross 80% of the body). The 50 f2 body looks very similar. Cant see any difference between f1.8 and f2 and I suspect this lens was more a marketing thing to match a new camera with higher price than a real optical revolution from previous models..
One lens which I am even more amazed is the Zeiss Ultron 50 1.8 concave SLR lens in M42 or Icarex BM. It has nearly no flaws, is more contrasty and even sharper. Though it is very fragile, bigger and I often grab the aperture ring instead of the focusing ring.

I've been watching and waiting for a 50/1.8 to pop up, there really isn't many out there, the majority are probably all in collections in Japan.
I've seen way more 3.5cm f2.8 and 9cm f3.5's and those are uncommon, I think I may have seen 2 50/1.8's on eBay, not having disposable $ when one comes up...

While you wait for the 1.8/50 to show up you might also run a search for Topcor's Heliar design, the 2.8/50. Another of their rare, excellent products for which there is almost no available information. The Japanese Topcor Club website essentially just says that very few were made. I stumbled across one a few years back at a reasonable price and it might be one of the best lens purchases I ever made.

I also have the 5cm/F2.8 and have to admit, I have only mounted it on a Leotax TV2, but have never actually taken a photo with it. It also came reasonably priced as I don't think many people knew what it was, as there was an adapter C mount on it when purchased. Also in Excellent condition with the unique folding hood.

Attachments

• Topcor 5cm f2.8_1.jpg
    Topcor 5cm f2.8_1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2
I also have the 5cm/F2.8 and have to admit, I have only mounted it on a Leotax TV2, but have never actually taken a photo with it. It also came reasonably priced as I don't think many people knew what it was, as there was an adapter C mount on it when purchased. Also in Excellent condition with the unique folding hood.

I was not lucky enough to get the folding hood, but I haven't missed it. If you haven't used your Topcor I can only suggest that you take it out for a spin. I have collected a slew of 50s over the years and that Topcor is hands down my favorite.

2020-05-28 Stage Canon P Topcor 50-28 LOMO 800 000452420031 by newst54, on Flickr

2020-05-28 Stage Canon P Topcor 50-28 LOMO 800 000452420012 by newst54, on Flickr

2020-07-17 Stage Canon P Topcor 50-28 Astrum Photo 100 000423810009 by newst54, on Flickr

Very nice images. Seems to have a real bite of sharpness and contrast which reminds me of the Schneider 50/2.8 Xenar vs 50/2 Xenon for Retina.
Def have to give it a go on my next roll of shooting. I'm sure it is a gem.

Back