Topcon Super D

I have a great condition Super D with 50 1.4 lens, case & the optional rare waist level finder. Also a 35mm & I think the 50 or 58 macro lens. Hood, filters etc.

If anyone wants to re-live the Topcon experience let me know.

When I worked in Saudi Arabia, 1974 - 1976, they were very populair.
Most of us went for Minolta or Nikon these days.
I got me a Minolta SRT 101 and a SRT 303b and some beautyfull lenses from 24 to 500 mm in that little camera shop in Dahran. Never let these go and over the years I got some nice XE and XM as well.
The Topcon's were sold in the same shop in Dahran but almost at a double price compared to the Minolta's and the Nikons.
Those were the days.

Best regards from the Lowlands.

Anyone here have an opinion on the Topcon Super D (also called the Topcon RE Super apparently)? It seems to have a dedicated following. I've been thinking about getting one since I like to shoot with collectible cameras that are also relatively functional.

for
very well made precision camera
generally great optics
1st production TTL meter in a 35mm slr
pro level system camera with lots of options
generally dependable
takes most Exakta lenses

against
not so bright finder
very long film advance - its gets old fast

most interesting variants
the USN engraved bodies and lenses

Stephen

There may still be a few military bases around the world that have these buried in closets as part of their official gear pool.
I'm sure there were a few bodies at the "Big Navy' base on Guam when I was there in 2003 (ten years is nothing in military bureaucratic terms when it comes to getting rid of equipment.) There were also some at NAS Keflavik, Iceland the same year.
The Navy still likes to keep around the reliable old technology because it's proven and sometimes, one needs to make photographs when battery power or computer power isn't available.

Phil Forrest

I have really enjoyed mine , they are large , but very well made.

Topcon R

Attachments

• IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi,
Can anyone tell me with certainty if lenses for the topcon Re2 will also fit the topcon super d (re super) ?
thanks

Yes they will. All of the lens for the Re and D and DM's were the same..

Topcon (Exakta derived mount) lenses are compatible across all Topcon bodies. But there are some variations regarding which Exakta lenses the Topcon bodies will take. Exakta and Topcon went different ways regarding the aperture automation, and in later years they grew increasingly incompatible where aperture-automated lenses were concerned. Even some all-manual German lenses have their bayonet screws in places where they can come stuck on late Topcon bodies.

Just in case somebody hits this from a search engine: Topcon also made the more affordable Uni series, with on-body leaf shutter and a completely different and incompatible proprietary (UV) mount.

Here's my RE Super with Topcor 5.8cm f1.4. I also have the Topcor 13.5cm f3.5. The camera is large and solidly built. It makes a precision thunk when you press the shutter. I don't find the position of the shutter release natural, having come from Nikon F and Olympus OM.

That 5.8cm f1.4 lens is an impressively large piece of glass. It focuses very close. The slightly longer focal length and the lens signature make it very nice for portraits. It has character.

17969265598_8c92d6960e_b.jpg

17536573543_09068ba5eb_b.jpg

5.8cm f1.4 Topcor
U27021I1438704028.SEQ.0.jpg

U27021I1438786607.SEQ.0.jpg

They never had the sales/following needed to develop more of a professional system around it as Nikon did with the F and, later, Canon with the F1.

High quality. I was going to say built like "a brick" but really, it is more like "a bank vault."

I bought an RE Super a couple of years ago, mainly for the ƒ1.4 58mm lens on it, to use with my RE-2. But I discovered that it is a wonderfully designed camera. I've only really messed about with it, to date, but I actually find the front shutter button quite easy to use. It is built like a tank and sounds like one too. But it is a precision instrument, smooth to us.

The lenses have a wonderful rendering to them, IMO.

This is from the Topcor 58mm 1.8 lens.

13793306004_2e54b498a9_b.jpg

I just picked up an RE Super at the PHSNE show, from Michael Zacks (Zacks Camera Repair in Providence, RI). I already have one of the Super Ds (same camera; the Super D was the North American model name). The one I just got is a little lumpy cosmetically, but works perfectly, and came with the flash coupler, which I've never seen before.

I think these are really nice cameras -- the meter readout is very easy to see, and having the meter built into the mirror is a great idea. They are beautifully made and quite sturdy. The only ergonomic complaint I would raise is that the depth of field preview lever is a little awkwardly placed , but that's a mild criticism.

The RE-Topcor lenses are really good. The 58/3.5 macro is flat-out fantastic. I think it's better than any of the competitors' offerings. The 58/1.4 also fully deserves the praise it gets.

Back