Toronto Star goes retro for a shoot. Does it make sense?

LF will also have a comparitively smaller DOF for the same angle of view and f-stop of a smaller format. Additionally film itself will have a comparatively different response to highlight saturation. There are absolutely valid reasons for him wanting to shoot things this way and it should be celebrated rather than doubted.

I like it the way it is.
These are prom shots, do you really need to see every skin pores and pimples?

Kudos to the photographer.
Introducing these kids to the way when a consistently-nice set of photographs took some effort to pull off :)

Images have likely been through the wringer and come out on screen looking soft and rather crappy. So that's not helping.

LF brings tonality, resolution, reproduction size and unique depth of field possibilities. None of these advantages are put to use or evident in the gallery.

As others have mentioned, good prints would be a very different story.

So I'm on the "it doesn't make sense" side of things. But then not everything needs to make sense.

Part of the charm here seems to come from the people clearly having fun interacting with the guy with the quirky old camera. This is one of the benefits of large format that weren't there in the 1950s.

Let's put it this way: there's a bartender who makes amazing Cuba Libres. One day he is given an excellent bottle of 30-year Macallan. Yes, it's a shame that he'll mix the Macallan with Pepsi and lime, and the Cub-Ach! Libre may taste not that bad, but those who drink Macallan would mourn the use of The Macallan.

Part of the charm here seems to come from the people clearly having fun interacting with the guy with the quirky old camera. This is one of the benefits of large format that weren't there in the 1950s.
I will be embarking on a resumption of my "South Wedge Morning" project (flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/edunbar/sets/72157629389853622/) to concentrate on portraits of residents of the neighbourhood. I will use the Chamonix 4x5 which will create a lot of interest for just this reason. A free small (contact) print made on a "Do they make film anymore?" "that's an antique!" camera will attract lots of subjects.

As regards the relative quality of the Star work ... whatever. I don't really think the staff are scanning experts. Combined with the deadlines and reproduction quality of newsprint, I don't think we can really judge. I salute the staff for trying this.

having done some graduation shoots these are really nice. The diversity very interesting.i like the creamy look. i think they are sharp on my monitor. i didn't pixel peep. Different poses, well composed. Great shoot.

Exactly.
It will make a lasting impression on the kids.

Well, that is if they could get over the amazement / nervousness of having a girl (or boy) so close by for the first time :D

Back