Trail Cameras

Dralowid

Michael
Local time
8:34 PM
OK, so they are about as far away from a rangefinder as you can get!

I'm after some advice. We get a lot of pleasure from using a trail camera in our garden, watching night time wildlife. Mostly small stuff.

I don't want to download images onto another device, I just want a simple trail camera with as big a screen as possible, we normally look at the results while having breakfast, it is a social thing.

We had one made by 'Lil Acorn' that lasted a while but the switch was very flimsy and it fell apart. Right now we have a cheap one that has no name but says 'HAZA' when turned on. The software performance can best be described as 'flaky'. It has a screen that looks big but the image doesn't fill the screen, it is smaller than the one on the 'Lil Acorn'.

Can anyone recommend a reliable brand of trail camera, battery operated and with as big a screen as possible? Bearing in mind that we only use the screen on the camera itself, image quality is not really an issue.

Any suggestions?

I have several trail cams scattered about here in northern Michigan. I even started a trail cam picture thread. I'm not quite sure what you mean by a large screen. The ones I bought require me to remove the SD card and stick into my laptop so I can view the images. As for models I can recommend, I've been buying the cheapest camera I can find at Walmart but recently bought a Browning Dark OPS Extreme (model BTC-6HD-MAX). Nice trail cam. Good image quality for still or video, plus it records sound too. About $90.00.

Jim B.

By screen I mean the screen on the back of the camera. Some are bigger than others. All we want to do is bring it inside and look at the images/videos on the screen on the back of the camera.

I don't want to have to transfer the card or do something with wifi or whatever...maybe we have been left behind by technology...

Afraid I can't help you much. The trail cams I'm familiar with (cheaper models) all have SD cards that need to be removed and inserted into a computer to view.

Jim B.

Dear Michael,

There are many trail cameras that allow file transfer via Wi-Fi. You could view the pictures on a laptop or tablet then. I am not aware of any cameras with viewing screens larger than about 1 1/2 inches square.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

Back