New York TRANSGENDER BEAUTIFUL - a solo photography show

jadyb110

jadybates
Local time
3:32 PM
Greetings!
I have my first solo photography show: TRANSGENDER BEAUTIFUL showing at Soho Photo Gallery -and- I'd love everyone's help to spread the word! The opening reception is Sept 8th from 6-8pm, 15 White Street, NY. Transgender model and activist: Rebekah Katherine Brewis is featured throughout this conceptual series - a journey of self-actualization. We are excited for this work's positive message and hope to grow a buzz around its opening night! Please help us spread the word to help a grassroots promotional outreach grow BIG! (Full images: jadybates.com) (I can send e-flyers, twitter-ready jpegs, or promotional postcards, etc - Email me: [email protected]) More Love & Light! -j

Good luck with the show .... I really like the work and hope the whole thing goes well for you. I feel for transgender people and think that what you're doing here is important and progressive in this current social climate. :)

Thank you Keith, FrankS, TimmyJoe & Shirley Creazzo for your feedback & comments. It's great to hear ... heartens this artist-heart!

Jady,

Important work.

I have two transgender friends who I will give the heads up about your show.

Also know that I have had to do a long hard search about my own identity and this subject gets complicated fast: first generation Chinese American; white suburban upbringing; and just basically standing out in a crowd as being different.

I basically self identify as a white boy trapped in an Asian body. I have the attitude and persona of a white male and enjoy the privelage and entitlement, yet because I grew up during the Vietnam era and looked like the enemy I suffered oppression and hate crimes during a time where very few Asians were in the U.S.

I was born in 1958 and in the 1960 Census there were less than 238K Asians counted (about half were Chinese) in the U.S. Also know that my dad was an illegal immigrant for many years, and when he jumped ship in New York Harbor the Chinese Exclusion Laws from 1885 were in effect that denighed all Chinese possible citizenship. It was only due to my father's service in the U.S. Army during WWII that my father was able to become a Natralized U.S. Citizen because of his military service. Understand that between 1943 and 1952 only 1428 Chinese were natralized under this loophole, and by 1952 the Chinese would be looked upon as the enemy again as public policy at the advent of the Korean War.

Today NYC is about 20% Asian, but I am reminded by your struggles and my friend's struggles in how hard it is to be themselves and the amount of courage required.

News stories and history show that hate is not only wrong, but there is too much of it.

Cal

Cal,
Thank you for your comments here. I agree that this is important work. I am honored for you telling us your valuable perspective. These stories and these words need to be heard. This is right at the heart of the reason I want word of this show to spread...the model featured throughout the series is beautiful and very much herself in her own right - just as she is. I am not a transgender person, but merely an ally of the transgender community and the LGBT community more largely. There needs to be more support, more of a voice and LESS discrimination towards this larger community - and frankly, more love in the face of hate wherever it reveals itself. I have only experienced discrimination as a blind/disabled person three years ago - and it was temporary. Surgeries eventually saved my vision (and then, subsequently, I picked up a camera right after that), but not before I experienced great discrimination and hate towards me, walking around with my blind cane (which I still need from time to time) - making my way to work and through life, etc. It was shocking and not altogether surprising at the very same time. How can people be so terrible? How can people be so narrow? I am a "We are in this together" believer (WITT), not a "you're on your own" sort of person (YOYO). I see more people yearning for positivity. I see more people leaning toward the expansive feelings of LOVE & ACCEPTANCE. I see this more than I do of the hateful discrimination. I hope to see people turn out to see this show to honor the LGBT community and show LOVE for people that have experienced so much discrimination. Cal, I cannot tell you how much I honor what you have said here...What YOU have experienced, personally and in your family...I wish only that this struggle was not still real. I hope the work inspires. This is my perspective. -jady

Cal,
Thank you for your comments here. I agree that this is important work. I am honored for you telling us your valuable perspective. These stories and these words need to be heard. This is right at the heart of the reason I want word of this show to spread...the model featured throughout the series is beautiful and very much herself in her own right - just as she is. I am not a transgender person, but merely an ally of the transgender community and the LGBT community more largely. There needs to be more support, more of a voice and LESS discrimination towards this larger community - and frankly, more love in the face of hate wherever it reveals itself. I have only experienced discrimination as a blind/disabled person three years ago - and it was temporary. Surgeries eventually saved my vision (and then, subsequently, I picked up a camera right after that), but not before I experienced great discrimination and hate towards me, walking around with my blind cane (which I still need from time to time) - making my way to work and through life, etc. It was shocking and not altogether surprising at the very same time. How can people be so terrible? How can people be so narrow? I am a "We are in this together" believer (WITT), not a "you're on your own" sort of person (YOYO). I see more people yearning for positivity. I see more people leaning toward the expansive feelings of LOVE & ACCEPTANCE. I see this more than I do of the hateful discrimination. I hope to see people turn out to see this show to honor the LGBT community and show LOVE for people that have experienced so much discrimination. Cal, I cannot tell you how much I honor what you have said here...What YOU have experienced, personally and in your family...I wish only that this struggle was not still real. I hope the work inspires. This is my perspective. -jady

Jady,

The history I presented is the past. Glad I feel safe to talk about it, but know that things are better today and there has been great progress. Back in the day the term "Hate-Crime" was not invented.

You present yourself well as an interesting artist. Looking forward to meeting you at the opening.

Cal

Jady,

Nick was over having a meeting with my fashion blogger girlfriend, and I told him about your show.

All I can say is Nick is a beautiful woman. Expect to see him at the opening.

BTW Nick is known as a Princess Di impersonator and has a huge following on instagram.

Cal

Being XY Transgender [ not Transexual 'cos I could no longer become a 'woman' than I can be a 'man' ], born in 1947 , being bullied for being different , I am delighted that so much publicity is being shown towards others like me .
One strange element which caused the experts to dismiss me was identifying as , and with , tomboys , later butches and XX trans guys - people ask , as a child , what it was like being the only boy in a party of girls [ mostly tomboys !! ] but I was inside looking out and did not see any boys !!!
An element of ASD here in that I am immune to the expectations and rules of 'common sense '.
Hence buying an M8 just for considered snap shooting with a Summitar etc.
Respect.
'dee'

Being skinny, narrow shouldered, having long hair, and being somewhat a "prettyboy" I have grown to know what it is like to be mistaken for a woman, especially from behind.

I also have been mistaken as a gay man frequently enough and have been called the usual names.

You don't have to be gay or transgendered to know the hate.

Anyways I'm comfortable with my fem side even though I identify as a man.

Cal

i'm not good with people 'cos they are so centred in he or she and the expectations of me .
Those around me don't expect me to join in and leave me alone .
I have always hidden behind a camera . so my cameras and snap shooting is very important to me .
Photos / films are once removed from the discomfort of an out phase / confused reality , which is perfect for me.
A therapist helped with the simple fact that ' reality ' is the creation of individual brains/minds , not as solid and defined as real people seem to recognise .
dee

i'm not good with people 'cos they are so centred in he or she and the expectations of me .
Those around me don't expect me to join in and leave me alone .
I have always hidden behind a camera . so my cameras and snap shooting is very important to me .
Photos / films are once removed from the discomfort of an out phase / confused reality , which is perfect for me.
A therapist helped with the simple fact that ' reality ' is the creation of individual brains/minds , not as solid and defined as real people seem to recognise .
dee

Dee,

In talking it seems people might not be as centered as you think. Once people start talking it seems like people's identities do get blurry, because they are forced to think about things that otherwise might make them feel uncomfortable.

My gal defines herself as aggressive and assertive: masculine qualities. I make fun of myself because I can be a real bitch, and some of my friends say I'm worse than a woman. LOL.

In speaking to/about Nick I find myself using both he and she, and neither of us seems to mind.

It does seem that I do overcompensate for my fem side by being extremely manly in other ways. Perhaps this is a defense mechanism. All I'm trying to say is that not everything is so clear. I think most people struggle, or I hope they do.

Out in the suburbs I would be walking holding hands with a girlfriend, and I would take notice how guys in cars would slow down to check out the lesbians, until the saw my arrogant chin beard.

I'm into cycling, and one of my friends, Ralph, was admiring my butt not knowing it was me. "I was checking out your butt and liking it," Ralph said. LOL. Not an uncommon mistake, especially with my long hair down.

And then women can be rude and aggressive about sex...

The world is very blurry to me. I exploit and exhibit my fem side, a lot for a straight guy, but know that I'm proud to be a pretty boy, and know that I use it and work it.

Cal

Back