Traveling light and then facing challenges

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
11:36 AM
So I decided to travel light this summer.
We had no checked luggage.
Rental car was a compact Toyota Yaris .
Photography equipment was minimal (Ep2 and Epl1 with Zeiss Sonnar 5cm 1.5 and a Summilux 25/1.4).
I took with me 5 batteries and many memory cards but Ii left behind the battery charger!

I don't know how this happened.
Link for iPhone: https://raid.smugmug.com/Italy2017iPhone6/
Link for Summilux 25/1.4:https://raid.smugmug.com/Italy2017EPL1Lux25mm/
Link for 5cm 1.5 Sonnar: https://raid.smugmug.com/Italy2017EP25015Sonnar/

Photography equipment was minimal (Ep2 and Epl1 with Zeiss Sonnar 5cm 1.5 and a Summikux 25/1.4).
I took with me 5 batteries and many memory cards but Zi left behind the battery charger!

Treat each battery like a 200 shot roll of film and you'll be fine!

One potential solution:

51CDPPZSYBL._SX466_.jpg

I started making more photos with my iPhone but after 1000 images the phone ran out of space. I checked and it was also having 45k emails on gmail that taxed the phone. I then deleted many emails and I freed up enough for new images.
I had in the end no space left in the phone and two batteries with some charge left for the cameras. As a last resort I asked my wife for her iPhone.
It worked out fine.

Is there a camera store anywhere nearby where you can get a charger?

Do you have access to WiFi at night which will enable you to upload images to an online storage account like Dropbox? Your phone will be cleared each morning in this way.

How long are you away, and are you staying in one place? Could you order an Oly battery charger online and have it sent to where you are staying?

I used the iPhone for several panorama images, and I did not see a single person take such photos on the street. I like such images with many people in them.
I am now tired from the travel.

Good news: my last article was reviewed by the New England Journal of Medicine . Cool.

I kept things simple. No wifi used for uploading images. Family life is more important yo me. We enjoyed each day delicious food and many Cappuccini and of course Gelato.
Whatever you encounter has most likely been photographed (better) by someone else.

Thanks for the tip.

Photography equipment was minimal (Ep2 and Epl1 with Zeiss Sonnar 5cm 1.5 and a Summilux 25/1.4).
I took with me 5 batteries and many memory cards but Ii left behind the battery charger!

haha been there done that!
went to Korea and forgot the charger.
Went for work but had some time off...
Oh well, batteries lasted longer than i thought and i had this "back to film" feeling where you don't click mindlessly :D

We drove from Rome along the coastline North to LaSpezia which is close to Cinque Terre. Then we drove to Camogli which is close to Genova. Then we drove to Rome.
The many tourists make the trip less to enjoy.
This is reality.

I used the iPhone for several panorama images, and I did not see a single person take such photos on the street. I like such images with many people in them.
I am now tired from the travel.

Good news: my last article was reviewed by the New England Journal of Medicine . Cool.

...reviewed and rejected?:D

Not rejected. Paper was published in Obstetrics and Gynecology and then it was reviewed by the media, such as NPR , Reuters, Forbes, New York Post, and then by the well known NEJM. Good stuff.

I erased each day some images from the phone that looked plain.
It also made me more selective which photos were good to keep.

No regrets at all.

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun.

I have such a compulsion to take photos that I would find it very difficult in your situation, so it's a real credit to you that you're able to take this in your stride.

I did a similar thing, Raid. I spent the first day of a 5-week European trip wandering around electronic and camera shops until I found the right charger!

Doing well academically makes me also enjoy my photography. Maybe a "reward"?

well done!:)

Yes, some people get a kick from being succesful in one field, to also do well in another.
Some are the opposite - a chemistry postgraduate friend of mine did his best shot when he was depressed, heartbroken and unemployed!
Now that he has a (temporary, though) job, a girlfriend (hopefully less temporary), his shots are mwah :)

hmmm, probably next time you'll not forget the charger :)

robert

PS: I'm sure you managed to get the good shots...

Back